Saturday, November 29, 2014

As Life Goes: Gen. 5.3-Matthew

***SENSITIVE ISSUE CHAPTER***



The start of my junior year. Dad taught me to drive and Grandpa bought me a new car the day I got my license. Mom and Dad weren’t all that happy about it. They’d got me a little scooter to use, but I couldn’t take Claudia out in that, and what happened on rainy days. They couldn’t deny that logic.


I still hung out with Dax and Kraig. I was the first one to get a car so they were just as excited as I was. Not that not having a car stopped us. One of the parents would drive me into town when I needed. At times I kinda wished we didn’t live so far away from everything, but the idea of moving freaked me out a bit. I was already preparing myself a year in advance for college. When we toured Bay University, I’d originally wanted to rent an apartment. I wasn’t really keen on staying in the dorms, but they did have co-ed dorms so that was a plus.


Claudia and I were still dating, exclusively dating, for the past few months. She would come over and we’d do homework and such together. My courses seem to come easier to me this year and I was acing nearly all of them. Claudia struggled a bit so I was happy to help when I could. We no longer had many classes together, since I bumped up to the more advanced levels. The only class we did have was History but luckily we still had the same lunch period. Mom had warmed up to her and by warmed up, stopped asking me if we were still dating on a weekly basis. Claudia was funny and a blast to hang around. Hell, even Dax and Kraig stopped giving me as much shit about her when they realized she was a big a prankster as the three of us. 


When we wanted ‘alone’ time we usually hung out at her house. My parents didn’t know how much her mom wasn’t home. I didn’t like lying to them so I’d tell them we were meeting up at the library or something, which wouldn’t be a total untruth. We just didn’t stay there long.


Junior prom was approaching. Claudia told me no at first. She wasn’t into all those sorts of traditions and thought they were kinda stupid. Then she said she couldn’t go because her mom wouldn’t give her money for a dress. Claudia told me it was because her father hadn’t paid his child support in a while and her mom was pissed. For some reason that woman wanted to punish Claudia for her dad’s actions. I thought that was unfair. I’d only met her mom once or twice in the two years I’d know Claudia. I came from such a close knit family seeing how different Claudia’s was, I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. My family did things for the holidays we were always together if we could be. Sometimes Aunt Hope and Uncle Caleb came out other times we’d go to Aurora Skies to be with them. Since I felt bad Claudia didn’t want to go with me because she wouldn’t have a dress I decided to take her shopping since I’d just gotten paid. I never did much with the money I earned from the store anyway and so I had most of it saved in an account Dad made me open. He was big on teaching me financial responsibility.


Shopping with a girl was an experience and one I didn’t want to repeat anytime soon. I’d never gone shopping with a girl before other than Mom and that was mostly when I needed new clothes.

That night at dinner when I told Mom and Dad about the hours it took Claudia to pick out the perfect dress. Dad laughed and said sacrifices had to be made sometimes. Mom thought my gesture was nice, but wasn’t totally comfortable with the idea of me spending hundreds of dollars on Claudia. Good thing she didn’t know about the other times I’d given her money for things.


“What did you expect, babe. The boy clearly has learned everything he needs to know about wooing a girl from his father,” Dad said giving Mom a big smile.

She leaned over and gave him a kiss. “I guess I can’t argue with that.”


Prom night was great. Dad rented us a limo since it would be six of us. Claudia didn't really like the Dax and Kraig's dates, and kept making comments about why they had to be included in on our night. I'd already explained to her the plan was for us all to hang together. I was voted prom king. Dax’s parents were out of town for the weekend so we had an after party there. There was dancing and drinking and the night eventually led to Claudia’s favorite ‘activity’.

Right after spring break, Claudia started acting funny. She started avoiding me and not returning my calls. One day after school I managed to corner her before she ran off to her bus.


“What do you want Matt?” she snapped.

“I…I just wanted to know what was wrong.”

“You’re what’s wrong, Matt. Geez-us you are so fuckin’ clingy. Can’t you take a damn hint!”

One…two…three…her outburst was drawing attention as other students milled around. “I…I…”

“I…I…” she mocked “You are not who I see myself tied to for the rest of my life! It’s over Matt and tomorrow I’ll be rid of the brat you tried to saddle me with.”

“What!?”


“I’m pregnant you moron, but not for much longer.”

One…two…three…“What do you mean not for much longer?”

“What do you think Matt? I already told my mom, who was PISSED by the way so thanks for that! She’s taking me tomorrow. At least she was happy to know she wouldn’t have to pay.”

I was confused. I didn’t understand she was pregnant. We were careful, she said she was on birth control. One...two…three…my parents were going to kill me.

“You won’t have to do this alone. We can get married, you can move in with me if your mom is that unhappy.”

“Are you not hearing me? I’m…not…keeping…it! I don’t want it. When and if I become some brat’s mother it will be with a guy that can take care of me in the manner I require. I do not and will not stay in the Podunk town married to a grocery store bagger!”


One…two…three“It’s a high school job Claudia! After college, I’ll…”

 “You’ll what? Work your way up to manager? Whoppity fucking doo. My life plan includes marrying someone rich and preferably old and living in the lap of luxury the rest of my life. Look Matt, you’re cute and fun and all, but you had to know this was never gonna be long term right? You may be happy being a farm boy, but that is NOT the life for me! But thanks for the cash you gave me last week. That will be enough to take care of it.”

She turned and walked off and I just stood in front of the building watching her go. Claudia was pregnant with my child and was planning on terminating. Even worse, when she’d come to me saying she needed money I gave it to her, and now I knew I would be funding her choice.


Mom was out in the garden when I got home. She walked in to find me scrubbing the counter repeatedly and counting.

“One-hundred-twenty, one-hundred-twenty-one…”

“Matt?” I kept going. “Matthew!” Mom half yelled, putting her hand over mine.

“I told her Mom. I told her I would take care of her and she laughed. She’s going to…to…she....” I started counting again, “One…two…three.” Over and over. Mom pulled me into a hug as I continued to count.


“Honey, what’s happening?” She was worried, I could hear it in her voice. “Please I don’t understand what’s wrong.”

How could Claudia be so…so nasty? How could she say those things? Mom made me some tea and told me to lay down for a while. 


When Dad got home, I felt a little calmer and was able to tell them the whole story. As expected they were pissed, they didn’t even know I was having sex and I’d gone and gotten my girlfriend, correction ex-girlfriend, pregnant.

“Well, what’s done is done. It won’t be easy, but you will help her take care of the baby. We’ll make sure you get some custody rights,” Mom said patting my leg.


“She…she’s not keeping it,” I said quietly.

“Oh, well then if she wants to do adoption then we will just make sure we get full custody,” Dad commented.

“No…she’s…not staying pregnant.”

A silence fell over them. Mom looked especially upset by my words. She started pacing I hated seeing her upset. …one…two…three


“Jonas…”

“I’ll go talk to her mom, but I don’t know…”

“You have to try. Please.” 

I watched my Mom look more upset than I’d ever seen her. She and Dad had some silent communication going on that I didn’t fully understand right away. Then it hit me, the talk we’d had a few years ago when I’d asked about being an only child. Guess she wasn’t one of the ‘blessed’ ones; she must not have been able to have more. Mom had her reservations about Claudia and now I felt bad for not listening, if I had I wouldn’t be in this situation. I had disappointed the two most important people in my life. One…two…three…

**A/N**

There will be carry over in the next chapter as well dealing with the same issue touched on in this chapter.  


22 comments:

  1. Oh man! I knew I hated Claudia and for good reason. :( She sure is one nasty little bitch. I hope Grace and Jonas can get her to cancel the abortion. I know exactly how Grace feels. :( Having fertility issues myself and then knowing someone is pregnant who doesn't even want the baby is like a death knoll to the heart. :( :(

    Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she is. :( I know this topic is a sensitive one that's why I put the warnings. You're right, when you are someone like Grace who would love to have kids (or more kids) but have issues getting pregnant to learn that someone like Claudia got so by a total fluke and is going to terminate, it just makes things so much more painful. :( Matt didn't fully understand until that moment and it hurt him to see him mother so upset.

      Hope this chapter didn't upset you too much.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. There's a saying I sometimes utter with a good deal of bitterness. "Life's a bitch and then you die." Sometimes there is no justice, and life can be brutally unfair. I've had to learn that the hard way in many issues, including ones that deal with fertility problems.

      I can see that Matt cares deeply for his mother and was so upset to see her so agitated. Things like that are probably hard for Grace to talk about, and admitting to her son she had fertility issues would have been difficult. Matt figured that out though, and it really brought it home.

      Nah, it didn't upset me. It's a part of life, and sadly, there are people who experience it. It causes a lot of heartache and relationships can definitely suffer. I came to terms with it long ago so it's all good. Having a hysterectomy brought some closure, and I'm at the stage in my life where I don't want anymore kids (ours was adopted from Bulgaria). Reading stuff like this and even writing it is very therapeutic, so no worries. :)

      Delete
    3. I've related a lot to Grace's story myself. We're struggling with infertility, and it also gives me a heightened sadness when I encounter people who I feel are blessed with children but don't want them.
      Tough stuff but you write it very well jazen.

      Delete
    4. @SNG I'm glad it wasn't upsetting. Life can be unfair and sadly there's not much we can do about that. We just have to find a way to keep going.

      Matt was upset by the way Claudia talked to him and the idea she wanted to terminate but it really hurt him to see him Mom so sad over the situation. He didn't fully understand before her comment about not being as blessed as others but the light bulb did go off.

      @Holly Aww...sorry to hear about your struggles. :( Like SNG this topic hits closer to home for you. I knew this would be a touchy subject so I'm trying to handle it as carefully as I can. Thank you for the compliment on the writing.

      Delete
    5. Awww, @HollyhocksFluff, I'm so sorry! Fertility issues are so heartbreaking. Believe me, I know. I sincerely hope it works out for you and that you'll get a little one to love. Yes, it angers me when people have children so easily and don't want them. Sadly, it's such a common thing in life, and life can be so brutally unfair.

      I totally identified with Grace here and felt so bad for Matt seeing Grace so upset. This is going to be some tough stuff for them to go through, but they're a strong family and they'll make it.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Oh no oh no oh no! Poor Matt, completely blindsided like that. Poor Claudia, feeling like she has to be so tough. Too bad she can't let Matt and his lovely family in. I hope the three of them are able to talk Claudia down, that must be so painful for Grace to hear considering their own troubles. I hope things can calm down so they can have a reasonable discussion about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was. He's going along thinking everything is okay and she completely shut him out. She probably wouldn't have even told him had he not stopped her. She is a real piece of work. If she was a smart girl, she would know that rich man she wanted was standing right in front of her but she couldn't see past how Matt lives. Small house on the outskirts of town. Looks are very deceiving in this instance.

      It hurt Grace to hear Claudia plans on terminating. She has wanted another child and can't get one and this young girl is not even considering adoption as an option. :( Jonas is going to try and talk to Claudia's mother, but given how she's been portrayed, I'm not sure it'll do any good.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine that will be an easy talk! Even as even tempered as Jonas is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little tramp! First she throwing herself at Matt and now he is the only one responsible for her being pregnant. I hate to tell the little bitch, she had a lot to do with that herself. The way she yelled at him and treated him like a piece of garbage in front of school mates. I felt so bad for him, he treated her so good buying her the dress for the prom, helping her with school work and this is the pay back he gets!
    Than the cruel way she turns him down when he offers to take care of her and the baby, the way she belittled him when he mentioned all of his plans.

    Matt is indeed better off without her, however there is the baby. His flesh and blood who he and his family want to raise but yet there is no way that could happen because until the baby is born, he doesn't have any rights to stop her from terminating the pregnancy. I seen the pain on Grace's face and Matt must fell totally helpless.

    I know Matt is going to try and talk to her, now all we can do is hope she will listen to reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, her birth control failed, that's not his fault. She was always the one to initiate sex so her getting mad at Matt over getting knocked up was so out of place. On top of that she really did show out on him. :( Yelling at him and putting him down for working at the grocery store. She didn't mind that job when he was buying her stuff, but now it wasn't good enough for her. Well it's her loss since she clearly doesn't know how well-off his family is.

      He is much better without her, but there is the baby to consider. He has no rights to the child right now and they have no recourse to stop her from terminating the pregnancy. It's a sad time for them. Grace who so desperately wants another child, Jonas who wants to do what he can to make his wife happy, and Matt who feels bad for causing it all.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. CLAUDIA IS WHAT!!! -.- I feel so terrible for Matt - I can't believe I was surprised to see that they were actually dating at the beginning of the chapter! -.- I doubt Jonas is going to be able to change Claudia's mind, or her mother's mind, but for the sake of everyone, besides Claudia, I hope that he can :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep...she's pregnant. Claudia realized that Matt was handy to keep around so she gave him what he wanted. Jonas will try to talk to them seeing how upset Grace was. He knows how much she wants another child and to hear that she is about to lose her grandchild killed her.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. What a nasty little....Poor Matt. He is so sweet and mostly innocent and she just trampled all over him.

    He is way too young to have to deal with stuff like this but I hope Jonas is able to do something to stop her from ending it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Claudia is a real piece of work. Matt...poor Matt only tried to do the right thing, to be a good man like his father taught him, but she just took advantage.

      He is too young to deal with this, but what's done is done and now they have to see how to move forward.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. What a mess. Dunno, it's hard, yeah, but, maybe it's better if Claudia does go through with it. Then she won't have any claws in the family any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a big giant mess!!! Claudia is a nasty piece of work so being stuck with her for life isn't ideal, but at the same time Matt is upset he's not given a choice over a child that is 50% his.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. I can't believe Claudia, that's just terrible. Especially for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...she's a real piece of work. She has a plan in life and Matt and a kid are not part of that plan. :( She showed her true colors.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. I can't, uh, say I completely disagree with Claudia's choice. She knows what she wants, and she doesn't want a kid right now. Was she irresponsible for having so much sex and not being more careful? Of course she was. I just don't think Claudia having a kid considering she doesn't even like Matthew that much, would be in anyone's best interests. Bringing a child into a family that doesn't love them just for the sake of not terminating, to me, is very cruel.
    Anyway, :D I will be curious to see what Grace says when she goes to talk to Claudia's mom. I understand why Grace is sad, too, cause some people can have kids, but don't want them, and she wanted them, but couldn't have more than one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia doesn't want a kid at all unless it can benefit her. :( She was irresponsible and you were right about her wanting to blame Matt as if he set out to get her pregnant on purpose. Her family wouldn't have cared for the kid, but Matt's would have stepped up without a question. The biggest thing is how Claudia chose to handle things. She had no plans to tell Matt and when she did, she was a complete bitch. :(

      Grace is very hurt right now because of her own fertility issues. She's wanted more children and hasn't been able to have any. :( The fact Claudia is doing this cuts her deeply. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete