Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Gen. 5.21-Matthew Solo




I stood at the graveside, staring down into the hole that contained Kia’s body. Her final resting place. The minister was reciting some prayer. I heard Mom crying, Dad was comforting her. Why do we do this? Who does this whole process benefit? Kia was gone; she wouldn’t know who came out to mourn her. So what was the point? This whole exhibition was for those of us left behind. To pay our last respects. What did that even mean? Were we supposed to stand here and do our grieving before going on with the rest of our lives without that person? Were we supposed to try and make peace some sort of way if we had unresolved issues with the recently deceased? Kia was gone! She wouldn’t get to see our son grow up. She wouldn’t know that I was sorry for the choices I made that led us here. She wouldn’t know any of that, so me standing here as some man that didn’t even know her talked about how she was at peace now only served to anger me.

I walked away. Behind me I heard the guy stop talking, my family all called after me, but I kept walking. How could I be in so much open space and feel so closed in? I loosened the tie around my neck; it didn’t help. The walls were closing in on me even with being outside.

“Where are you going?” Dad asked, appearing out of nowhere in front of me.


“Home…this…this is all pointless.”

“You can’t just walk off in the middle of the service. It’s disrespectful.”

“To who? It’s not like Kia’s gonna know I left? So who am I disrespecting by leaving?”

A solemn look crossed his face. “Yourself,” he answered quietly. Dad gave me a pat on the shoulder before walking back to the rest of the family.
   
I took a seat on one of the nearby benches. It was a beautiful day all things considering. Kia loved days like these. Bright, sunny, days; happy days she’d called them. There was nothing happy about this day.


I glanced up to see things wrapping up graveside. I knew they’d all come back to the house with me. I knew they’d all ask me how I was doing, if I needed anything. I did, but it was the one thing they wouldn’t give me. I just wanted them gone. I didn’t want to keep looking at them and seeing the disappointment in their eyes. No one said anything, but it was there. I knew it was. I was thankful the rest of the family didn’t fly out. They sent flowers and cards of condolences. There was this constant feeling I couldn’t get rid of. It wasn’t my normal feelings of unease, this was different and whatever it was just kept building and I had no way to alleviate the pressure.

Cal came over and took a seat beside me. One…two…three…I waited to see what he’d say. I didn’t know him all that well since he and Aunt Erin lived in Roaring Heights, but of the people here, he was the one to annoy me the least. He wasn’t constantly feeling the need to take care of me in some way. Instead, he gave me my space and I appreciated that. I heard cars crank up; Cameron started crying, someone mentioned he might be hungry. I didn’t even look up to see who had him; anyone of them was a better option than I was.



We sat in silence for a little while longer before he finally spoke. “Are you ready to go?”

I looked over at Kia’s grave. The workers had already begun covering her with dirt. Just like that she was being buried, covered up. I wanted to yell at them to stop, or punch them, maybe both, but I didn’t. That feeling inside of me twisted just a little bit more. I stood, nodded, then walked towards the cars with Cal following quietly behind me.

When we got home, I couldn’t walk inside. It was too crowded in there, yet felt so empty. Klutz came out and took a seat beside me.

“You wanna go for a walk boy?” His tail started to wag as I scratched him behind the ears.


Luckily we kept his leash right by the door, so I wouldn’t have to answer any questions about where I was headed.

“Excuse me.” I turned to see a balding man staring at a crumpled piece of paper. “Is this the Solo residence?”

The man shifted from side to side, nervously rubbing the back of his neck. I examined his features as I slowly walked down the steps. There was something familiar about him.


“Yes, this is the Solo residence,” I answered finally. I continued to stare at him. It was the eyes, her eyes. “Who are you?” I asked, already knowing the answer to that question.

One…two…three…four…that feeling inside me, twisting tighter.

“I…um…I got a call from a Detective McIntyre about Kia. I…I’m Alexander Borders, her father.”


The words were barely out of his mouth before my fist connected with his jaw. “You have a lot of fucking nerve showing up here!” I advanced towards him, ready to punch him again, but a woman got out of the car and ran to his side.

“Oh my god Alex, are you okay?” she asked lovingly touching his face. “What the hell is wrong with you?” she yelled at me.

“What the hell is wrong with me? You should be asking that question to the piece of shit laying on my lawn!”

“Linda, it’s okay.”

“What’s going on out here?” I heard come from behind me.


Dad walked over to help the man up from the ground. Mom stepped up beside me, laying a hand on my shoulder.

“I’m sorry…” Dad started, but I cut him off.

“That person doesn’t deserve any apologies.”

I stared at that sorry excuse for a man as he rubbed his bruised jaw. There he stood looking all sad and pathetic while his wife doted on him. In my eyes she was just as bad as him. How could any woman stand by a man that treated his child the way that man had treated Kia?

“I see Kia has given you her view on things, but…”


“But…why is there a but to that? You abandoned your child! You locked up her mother and shipped off your daughter because she became inconvenient for you. An embarrassment!”

Pops stepped between me and that man. I’d never considered myself a violent person, but looking at Kia’s father, that feeling inside me grew. My stomach ached from the pain and the only way I saw relief was to pummel that man into the ground for what he did.

“It wasn’t like that,” he weakly defended.

“You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about,” the wife chimed in. “Alex is a good man. He told me Kia took the divorce hard and they had been estranged. He’s tried to make contact with her…”


“Bullshit! What Kia took hard was her father leaving her at the age of twelve after he had her mother committed to Marsdale.”

“Matthew!” Mom and Dad said in unison.

The wife looked over at him. He refused to meet her gaze. So he’d lied to her about the nature of his relationship with Kia. Well I guess that explains how she was able to be with him, he put the blame on his daughter.

“Why don’t we take this inside? This isn’t a conversation that needs to be had out for anyone to hear,” Mom suggested.


 I shook my head. “I have nothing else to say to him and there’s nothing that he can say that I want to hear.” I turned and headed back to the house. My head hurt and I was sleepy. Extremely sleepy.

“Wait. Look, you’re right I wasn’t the best father…” he paused and looked over at his wife. “Or husband, but I’ve changed. People can change.”

“This change must be recent, like within the last forty-eight hours because you certainly hadn’t changed when she invited you to her graduation, or later to our wedding reception. Where was the change then? She was your wife. She needed you, and you failed her! You just locked her up because of your own selfish reasons!”

The man looked confused, the same look was mirrored on the faces of the others standing in my yard.

“Wife? She…what?” he asked, looking at Dad for something. Help maybe. I didn’t care what he wanted, I just wanted him gone. Out of my sight and out of my life. I turned to go into the house, all I wanted was to go to bed and put this day behind me.

“Please. When I got the call, the man told me she’d had a baby. That I was a grandfather. I…I messed up with Kia. I did wrong by her, but I’d like the chance to meet him to…”


That was the last straw. The man was on the ground again before anyone could react. Pain pulsated through my hand from making direct contact with his jawbone twice in a short time. But the pain didn’t matter. I’d rather my hand be broken than let that filth anywhere near my son. “You need to get one thing straight; YOU do NOT have a grandchild. Cameron is my son and you will never lay your eyes on him!”

The wife was crying, Uncle Caleb was trying to calm her. Mom was apologizing for my behavior. I pulled free from Pops and shoved past Cal, taking the steps in one leap. 

“Matthew Solo!” Dad yelled, hot on my heels as I entered the house. “What has gotten into you?”

“Nothing’s gotten into me! He just shows up here…getting punched let him off easy as far as I’m concerned!”


“And if he wants to press charges for you assaulting him?”

“Let him! I don’t care!”

Dad pinched the bridge of his nose, clearly still frustrated with my attitude from earlier and this wasn’t helping. Most times I would feel bad about disappointing him or Mom, but that feeling wasn’t there. The only thing I felt was that ache and this odd void that made no sense to me.

“Look son, I know what you’re going through, how you’re feeling…”

“Really Dad? You know what it’s like to have you wife commit suicide? For her to have so little faith in you that she thought that was her only option?”


“Suicide? No. But I do know what it’s like to watch your wife waste away slowly as the cancer eats at her. I know what it’s like to feel helpless and yet so full of anger because there was nothing you could do for her! I know what it’s like to watch her put on a brave face everyday, trying to reassure you that things will be okay even when you know they won’t. I know what it’s like to hate the world and everyone around you as the unfairness of it all consumes you!”

I was stunned into silence. Dad was clearly really going out of his way to try and relate to what I was feeling. Mom was fine, she wasn’t wasting away. She couldn’t even get sick. Could she? A panic took hold, we couldn’t get sick, but she was human first so maybe it was different for her.

“Before your mother,” he said, answering my unspoken train of thought. “I was married before your mother. I wanted to change her, to save her, but I couldn’t. My hands were tied so I do know somewhat how you’re feeling right now. I know it doesn’t seem like it right now, but things will be okay at some point. I promise you, things will get better.”

And there it was, that feeling of shame and embarrassment that would always creep in when I’d done something to disappoint my parents.

“Dad…I…”


“It’s okay son,” he said, hugging me tightly. “Like I said, I do understand how you feel. Go upstairs and spend some time with your son. Your grandmother was keeping him away from all the commotion.”

I nodded before dutifully turning to go upstairs. I heard GiGi and Aunt Erin talking as they hung out in Cameron’s room.

Aunt Erin smiled when she saw me. “Everything okay down there now?”


“Yeah.” I watched as GiGi gave Cameron a fresh diaper. “I…I’m going to go lay down for a little while.”

I walked in my room then closed and locked the door. After getting out of my suit as quickly as possible, I climbed into bed then put in my headphones, cranking the music up as loud as I could stand it; I closed my eyes and shut out everything.

**A/N**
So originally Kia’s dad was supposed to fall victim to Matt’s inner beauty prank. I hadn’t planned on showing all 12 in the story because that would be hard to work in, but I did have a plan for at least 3. We got 2, but as I was writing this chapter it didn’t fit. The other two were women and although Matt was pissed, he would never hurt a female. Kia’s dad…well he’s another story. So instead of having the inner beauty prank, Matt wanted to duke it out with the man so that’s what we got.

19 comments:

  1. When he punched the dad, I was like, "Yeah, there it is!" I think the man DID get off easy. Also, yes, Matt's dad had it rough, but that situation was still different. His wife never gave up hope on him/about him.

    He still hasn't held his son. Maybe that would help ease the ache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah, Matt is angry and seeing Kia's father he just unleashed that anger.

      Jonas' situation is different and he knows that he was just trying to explain to Matt he understood the anger. Jonas' guilt over his wife's death left him angry much in the same way. Matt is taking on the guilt of Kia's death and Jonas just wanted him to know he wasn't alone in his feelings. He was trying to let him know that he'd get through it in his own time.

      He hasn't held his son, hasn't wanted to. He's not feeling like the best option for Cameron right now and since there are plenty of people that are around to take care of him, Matt lets them. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Matt makes a very good point in the beginning about the funeral. Furerals are not so much for the departed and more about their loved ones left behind. The whole family was there to support him and help him through this difficult period but it's almost as if he doesn't feel like he deserves their support. He is obviously still blaming himself for Kia's death even though none of this is his fault. At one point he even thought of himself just as bad as Kia's father which simply isn't true. The guilt was more than he could handle.

    Now for Kia's father that rat bastard showed up now after she is gone. Kia was still looking for his approval right up until the day she died and he just expects to play Grandpa now after all the shit he pulled. I felt so bad when Kia had to ask if Daddy showed up for graduation and had to relive the dissapointment that he didn't show up and now that she is dead here he is not for her but his Grandson. Matt did go to easy on him because he deserved more than a bruised jaw for what he did to both Kia and her mother.

    Hopefully now that Jonas shared his experience with losing a wife maybe he will that will help Matt go through the grieving process which is what happens now. After the funeral is over is when the loss will is really felt. Between the custody trial and the funeral itself there was always something to do but now all he can do is go on with his life. Matt is going to have to learn to raise his son on his own but he already has plenty of doubts in his head :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Matt is questioning a lot of things right now so his views are rather cynical. :( The whole family is there but he rather be alone. He's being eaten alive by guilt over Kia's death and feeling like a failure as a husband and father. Those feelings of guilt did slip out when he was yelling at Kia's dad. :( He's just a ball of rage and he doesn't know what to do to make it go away.

      Yep, now he shows up. He knew Kia had been trying to reach out to him, yet he ignored her. Now that she's gone and he's hit with his own feelings of guilt (maybe) he wants to somehow make it up through Cameron. That's not happening. Matt won't let that man near his son no matter what anyone says. Matt might have really kicked his ass if the others hadn't been there to pull him off and to try and keep the situation from getting out of control. Kia's father needs to be grateful and go back to where ever he came from and forget about Cameron the same way he forgot about Kia.

      Matt is angry and Jonas recognizes that because he was the same way after Candace's death. He does understand the grief, guilt, and anger Matt is experiencing right now and wanted to let Matt know that in time, things will get better. Matt hasn't stopped to really grieve as of yet. Everything happened so quickly, he hasn't stopped to think about really losing Kia. He's angry, but it hasn't fully sunk in yet. :( Matt will need take care of his son, but with the family around it's been easy enough for him not to and he's okay with that. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Interesting comment about funerals... For the one gone it has absolutely no meaning. All the ritual is in fact for those left. But still we keep doing it. I guess we do need this time to let go. It's a kind of a transition time in our mind, I guess...
    Matt is still 'full loaded'. It doesn't need much for him to punch someone. Maybe it was well deserved but people can really change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and most people know that. Matt right now is just very cynical in is thinking and sees everything as pointless. :(

      Matt is very much fully loaded. LOL He's angry and guilt ridden and has no idea how to handle all those conflicting emotions he's experiencing right now. People can change, but Kia's father had plenty of time to show back up before Kia died. She invited him to 2 events just as Matt pointed out and he ignored her. All she wanted was his approval and love and he withheld it so Matt wasn't buying his "I'm changed" excuse.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. What an intense day for Matt. He is so bad about keep all his emotions inside I am not surprised he was exploding on people like that. Though to be fair, Kia's dad did kind of deserve it.
    I like how you worked Jonas' first wife in there. Being able to relate so genuinely will hopefully help Matt work through his grief and guilt. Guilt will eat you away for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt is maxed out with his stress level. :( He's been trying, but his normal coping skills aren't working and he's just so filled with rage and guilt, he doesn't know what to do with himself. :( Kia's dad getting punched is probably justice based on how he treated Kia. :(

      Aww thanks. Jonas had spent years angry after his wife died so he could relate on some level to how Matt is feeling right now. Hopefully his words will help bring Matt some comfort and the guilt won't eat away at him too much.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Matt is losing it. He's so angry and I'm worried that he's avoiding Cameron. Kia's dad has nerve to show up at Matt's house..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he is. :( He's very angry over everything that's happened and he doesn't know how to handle the anger. :( Yep, he is avoiding Cameron. He's not held him or taken care of any of his needs since he got him back. Kia's dad did have some nerve showing up. He hadn't been around before and now he comes after she's dead. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. I'm with Matt, that man needed punching. It won't help his case though, I'd have thought that he'd hold back for his son's sake! Poor guy, he's really losing it :/ It's understandable but I worry for his parenting rights.

    ~MischiefTheKitten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah he did. That man was a terrible father. Well Matt has his son back, the case had been dismissed. I guess Alex could have pressed charges for assault but in that moment Matt was willing to take the chance I guess. Matt is a very angry man right now and Kia's father decided to show up at the wrong time.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Sorry I took so long to leave a comment! I agree with Matt that man deserved alot worse then a punch in the face. That's going easy on Alex. But Matthew is also lucky his father in law didn't press charges. I hope things take a turn for the better for both Matt and Cameron. Now the funeral is over with I hope the healing process will begin soon. Also I'm worried for baby Cameron it seems like his dad is avoiding him. Hope Matt keeps care of his son very soon. Perhaps that can ease the pain a bit. A little off subject it looks like Alex and George from Kiss of a vampire they look like they could be bowling buddies or in "world's worst father" club. I'm sorry, I just had that mental picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey no worries! Just glad to see you pop in. :)

      LOL Kia's dad was a real piece of work. Well, when you have vampires in your family, it's easy to make things 'go away' not talking death or anything, but forgetting. Yeah, the beauty of mind control. LOL I don't get too much into the supernatural abilities, but they are there. Not that Alex would press charges. He knew he deserved that and more.

      You are right about Cameron. Matt hasn't done anything with him since getting him back. He's let his family take care of him instead. :(

      hahaha Yeah I guess George and Alex could co-chair the worst dads club.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. It's so wierd at funerals... I've only gone to funerals where someone else's family member has died, so I think I was spared the smothering that seems to come when people worry about the person who was directly connected to the deceased family members. I think there's a bit of irony there like, they do care, but it's like Matt said, he just wanted them gone so he could grieve. Complicated for sure, and I think you captured those mix of emotions quite beautifully.

    LMAO, I loved when Matt punched Kia's dad.
    I am super curious though, about what Kia's dad has to say about things, and whether the lady with him is the wife that was committed to the mental hospital that Kia had mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funerals are different from everyone. Matt is in a very cynical state of mind and that was reflected in his thoughts. Matt is lost right now. Guilt is eating away at him and he doesn't know what to do. :( Thank you. Some days I can get things right. LOL

      Matt has some anger issues right now. Oh no. Kia's mother is dead, she died years ago. That woman was the new wife. Alex moved on, made a new family. That's why Matt was so pissed. Kia tried to reach out and connect with her father, he was the only family she had left and he always ignored her. The wife had never even met Kia before, that's how much Alex tried not to bring her into his new life. It's sad really.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the story. But the nerve of that man to pitch up after all this time. Can't wait to see what happens next. The memories all of this brought up in Jonas actually made me cried. Jonas's kid was raise by his great grandmother, and then Matt's is taken away to be raise by strangers. That Goodies for Mrs. Bryant. I HATE that social worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it.

      yes, Kia's father did have a lot of nerve showing up now. He messed up big time and Matt let him know. Aww sorry you cried. In my world, Jonas and his wife never had children, she died before they could. I didn't connect the stories from Vuneca since it wouldn't really work out well for either of us. I did borrow some of his background information from what she had for him.

      Wolfie only hires the best and since he and Davis are good friends, when he heard what was going on, he sent a very good attorney to take care of things. :)

      Thanks for reading

      Delete