Sunday, November 22, 2015

Gen. 5.18-Matthew


“…nine…ten…eleven…twelve…” I felt like the only sound in the room was that of my rapid heartbeat. Two words. Ms. Logan spoke those two words without care or concern. My son was alright according to her, but we couldn’t take him home.

“What? Why?” Kia asked.

“Mrs. Solo, you left your son, alone, at a park and tried to take someone else’s child.”

“What? No! I…I…”


My legs were shaky and I feared they’d give out on me at any second. They were taking my son. “…fifteen…sixteen…seventeen…” How did this happen? I’d done all I could. Hadn’t I? Yet here I sat facing the fact these people were taking my son.

“Mr. Solo.” I looked up to see Ms. Logan wearing a very displeased expression. She stood and picked up her briefcase. “I think I have all I need. There’ll be an emergency hearing on Monday at family court. Be there at 9am. Cameron will remain in our custody for the weekend.” She turned and walked out without another word.

Two officers walked in behind her. “Sorry, we have to book her now,” one said, taking Kia by the elbow, helping her to her feet. “Luckily you’ll be able to make arraignment still which means she won’t have to spend the weekend in lockup. Well, if she makes bail,” he added solemnly.

“Matt! What’s happening? Matt!” Kia cried out as they cuffed her.

I needed to help her. I needed to calm her down, but I was unable to move. She was still screaming my name as they took her away.


“Matt, is there someone I can call?” Shannon asked. “She’s going to need a lawyer at the very least.”

“I…I don’t…”

“I’m so sorry about all of this. We’ll get Cameron home. I’m going to help you any way I can.”

I sat numb to all that was going on around me. I was vaguely aware of Shannon making a call. The officers came back telling me where I had to go for Kia’s arraignment. One drove us back to my store so I could pick up my car. I tried to focus on one thing, just one thing that I could control, but I came up empty.

When we got to the courthouse, Shannon went over to talk to some guy before introducing him as her ex-husband. He was a lawyer, but in corporate law.


“So, apparently something happened during transport. She’s not being arraigned,” he said.

“What…where is she? Can I see her?”

He looked at Shannon before answering. “She had one of her episodes, Shannon explained to me a little about what’s going on with her. Anyway considering everything…I managed to convince the judge what Kia needed was a psych eval instead of jail and she agreed.”

“Psych eval? What does that mean? Kia’s not crazy, just forgetful!”


“Look, I’ve been thrown into the deep end here and I’m just trying to get you two through the day. Your wife needs help and this could be better in the long run. Forty-eight hours at Mercy General’s psych ward is what’s going to happen. That’ll buy you guys some time to get a real lawyer to work this all out.”

“One…two…three…” I looked at Shannon then back at her ex, whose name I couldn’t remember. He looked uncomfortable. “…four…five…six…” Was this really happening? How did this day go so terribly, terribly wrong?  “Can I see her?”

“Um…yeah, I think I can arrange that. Besides…” he stopped, looking over at Shannon in some silent exchange.


“What!” I demanded.

“Considering Kia’s condition, as her husband you have to commit her,” Shannon explained.

“What? I thought…you just said the judge ordered it!”

“Well, not exactly. Like I said, Shannon explained somethings to me and with so much going on, I brought up the possibility to the judge. She agreed, but it’s not an official order, she’s just giving us some latitude. I strongly suggest you take it.”

The walls were closing in on me, I needed to run, to get away from all of this, but that wasn’t an option right now. Massaging my temples in an attempt to alleviate the pressure in my head, I tried to make sense of the choice I was now faced with. My son had been taken from me and now they wanted me to send my wife away.

“I…I can’t.”


“Matt, I think you need to consider it,” Shannon urged. “She could be facing some serious charges with attempted kidnapping; this could help her in the long run.”

“I’m not a criminal attorney, but this could set the stage for an insanity defense. She might get off with no jail time if that’s the case.”

“She’s not insane!” I took in gulping breaths of air. “One, two, three…” I was tired of people calling her crazy or insane or whatever. “…four, five, six…” I heard it all in college, the people there were horrible. “…seven, eight, nine…” Then that guy when she tried to take his car and the woman today, all of them…now this man, this other stranger who didn’t know her. “…ten, eleven, twelve…”

“Matt!” Shannon quietly yelled. “You need to calm down. No one is calling her insane; we are just trying to help. She needs help.” She stressed the word needs and I could only nod.

I knew she was right, Kia needed help and I wasn’t able to give it to her. I’d been trying but now I feared I’d been doing her more harm than good by not pushing her to seek more treatment.

“Okay, okay…but I need to see her. I need to explain to her what’s going on.”

“She’s already been taken to Mercy General. They’re just waiting on you to get there,” he stopped to look at his watch. “And we need to be quick, the judge gave me a time limit on this and we only have thirty-minutes left.”


Riverview was bigger than Barnacle Bay, but still relatively small which was a good thing since it only took us about ten minutes to get to the hospital. The sliding glass doors opened with a soft swoosh, Shannon gave me a small reassuring smile. She’d kept apologizing and I was tired of hearing the words ‘I’m sorry’. I wanted someone to blame, her job was to keep this from happening, to keep watch over Kia when I couldn’t. I didn’t want her apology, I wanted her to have done her job, if she had I wouldn’t be walking into this cold, sterile building getting ready to do the one thing Kia begged me to never do.


Kia sat on the back row of the white, plastic chairs, her hands still cuffed. The officer stood guard beside her. She looked up at me; there was no recognition in her eyes. She looked scared and confused. One…two…three…I waited, hoping for some spark from her,…four…five…six…but there was none. She stared back at me before breaking eye contact to ask the officer when she’d get to go home. Her aunt would be worried. …seven…eight…nine…

“Sir.” I turned my attention away from Kia. The nurse stood, holding a clipboard out towards me. “I need you to fill out her intake paperwork please.”


My hands shook as I took the clipboard from her. My mouth was dry, I swallowed a few times trying to clear the lump that formed in my throat.

Shannon laid a hand on my arm. “Do you want me to explain things to her?”
I shook my head. “No, I…I need to be the one so she understands.”

She gave me another reassuring smile. “I understand. I’ll just go sit with her until you’re ready.”

“Thanks.” She gave me a pat on the shoulder before walking away.

Her ex excused himself, saying he needed to make some calls, before heading back out to the lobby. I wanted to blame Shannon, but it wasn’t her fault. Kia was getting worse, I knew it, but didn’t really want to admit it. From the beginning I didn’t fully understand the seriousness of what she’d told me, I didn’t want to understand. As I took a seat in the cold chair, staring down at the form in my hand, I knew I was just as much to blame for where things were now.


I tried to tune out the whispers coming from behind me. I didn’t want to acknowledge that in a few minutes I’d have to tell Kia I was having her temporarily committed. I tried to focus on the questions, but Kia started crying. One…two…three…this was for the best. Four…five…six…this could help her stay out of serious trouble. Seven…eight…nine…it would help us get Cameron back.

“Matt?” I turned back to look at Kia’s tearful face. “Are we here to get Cameron? Shannon, she said that I left him…but…but he was okay. He was taken to the hospital.”


…twelve...thirteen…fourteen… I let out a heavy sigh before getting up to hand the clipboard back to the nurse. She looked over all the information, before picking up the phone and letting whoever know on the other end that they had a new intake. …fifteen…sixteen…seventeen…

“Matt?” Kia was standing; the officer had removed her cuffs. Two orderlies entered the waiting area. “Matt!” Kia said again. I could hear the panic in her voice. …eighteen…nineteen…twenty…

“I’m sorry,” I croaked out. One of the orderlies stepped forward; I put my hand up to stop him.

“Wait, please.”

“Matt, what’s happening?”


“I’m sorry, Kia. It’s…it’s just two days.”

She started shaking her head. “No! No! You promised!” she yelled.

…twenty-five…twenty-six…twenty-seven…“I know Kia, but I don’t have a choice. You’re in trouble Kia, a lot of trouble. This…”

“This is you trying to get rid of me!” The orderlies moved forward. Kia ran to me, gripping onto my shirt. “Please don’t do this. Please! I love you; I want to stay with you. I’ll take my meds, whatever you want, just please don’t send me away!” she begged frantically.

…thirty-two…thirty-three…thirty-four… “I…I’m not sending you away. Kia, please understand this is to help you. To help us!”

“Liar!” she yelled. One of the orderlies grabbed her arms and tried to pull her away. “No!” she screamed fighting to get free.


The other one reached for her, I shoved him away. “Leave her alone!” I pushed the other guy that still had Kia’s arms.

“Matt, you have to let them take her,” Shannon pleaded.

“No! You said this was voluntary. I’m not doing this to her.”


The other orderly came back towards me. I turned and swung, my fist connected with his jaw. I was vaguely aware of the nurse calling for help. The officer came up behind me in an attempt to restrain me. I shrunk, reappearing beside the orderly that held Kia. She was screaming as I grabbed for her. Shannon was pleading for me to stop fighting them. I was supposed to protect her. That was my job to keep her safe. She was scared; I couldn’t send her to this place. I’d already lost my son today, I couldn’t lose her too. I couldn’t lose them both.

More people filled the waiting room, another person tried to grab me, again I shrunk, only this time when I reappeared there was an instant burning sensation that jolted through me. My body convulsed. I dropped to the ground.


“Daddy please don’t send me away!” Kia cried out only her voice sounded far away. “Don’t send me away!”

I tried to move, but my muscles ceased up. There was a pinch in my neck. “I’m sorry,” I whispered before everything went black.

**A/N**
Thanks goes out to Daijah for the use of Mercy General a build featured in her story Code Name Danger. Again this place requires some CC to have it look as it does (mostly). I did minor edits of this one room. PM me for the CC if you want/need it.

18 comments:

  1. OMG, this goes from bad to worse, much, much worse. Matt is being asked to do the one thing Kia begged him not to do, but there is no choice. Matt, alone, can't help her, and Kia needs professional help at this point if they are ever to get Cameron back. I knew Matt was going to hit a breaking point and this was it. Ouch at the end when he was tranqued. I'm guessing he was tranqued since something hit him as he reappeared from shrinking. At this point, they both may end up in the mental ward. I just feel so sorry for the poor guy and Kia too. This whole situation just sucks. :(

    Again, looking forward to and dreading what is to come next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it sure did go from bad to worse. :( Matt knows how much Kia feared being committed but he's between a rock and a hard place on it. Matt's been trying to handle it without having to take a serious step like this.

      Things just kept being piled on and piled on poor Matt and the damn sorta broke loose. He got tased first then tranquilized. :( This has been one of the worst days of Matt's life.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Oh My I still can't believe that last scene. I don't know which one I feel worse for Matt or Kia. I had tears in my eyes when they were taking Kia away while she was yelling "Daddy please don't send me away"

    That social worker was a bitch. I understand that they do have to investigate because the baby does appear to be in danger. If we are honest the baby is in a bad situation due to Kia's illness but the social worker doesn't have to be such a bitch about it. It doesn't even sound like she knows that Kia has an illness at all when she should be taking that into consideration. Kia has been wrong for the things she has been doing but she is no in control of herself so its not her fault.

    As much as I hate the idea that Kia had to be hospitalized I do think it is for the best. It is clear that Matt who has been taking every single precaution can not handle Kia who seems to be getting worse than better. As much as Kia hates this it is probably better that she go back on the meds while hospitalized so that they can watch her as she gets used to them. It was bad when her episodes only hurt herself but now the baby is here and he is being dragged into this also.

    That last scene was heartbreaking for both Matt and Kia and I do hope that they are able to calm down before the hearing on Monday and that somehow Kia will understand that Matt wants to help her not get rid of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was pretty intense there at the end. Kia is getting worse fast and there's nothing she can do to stop it.

      Oh yeah Ms. Logan is a major bitch and she's just getting started. There will be a hearing and an investigation opened. Kia does put Cam at risk and Matt knew that which is why he hired help. Right now the worker doesn't know about Kia's illness yet, but she will. Sometimes Kia isn't aware of what she's doing, but sometimes she does like locking Shannon in the bathroom. :(

      Matt was trying to keep her from being committed but this could be a good thing. Matt needs to get her more help than even he realized so hopefully the next two days could be a turning point they need to get some real help. I'm sure her doctors will be called in since she does have someone already on her case. It isn't a good idea to have her completely in control of her medical treatment considering her illness affects her mind. Having her committed could give Matt the option to take PoA of her medical decisions. Yeah, poor Cameron is being hurt in all of this even if it's unintentional.

      :( that was Matt losing it finally. It was everything being piled on so he finally couldn't take anymore. :( Let's hope she won't be too resentful after these two days.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. *sigh* Kia, Matt can't keep his promise to you if you keep having episodes. I realize she is terrified of ending up like her mom who got sent away, but I don't think she understands that it's not 'to get rid of her,' it's just the fact of what is happening based on what she keeps doing with Cameron, especially since you said in the last reply that she was lucid when she locked Shannon in the bathroom. I feel like Kia needs to accept the nurses help, she needs to just stop being so adamant that she's perfectly fine and doesn't need a nurse, or whatever, otherwise, she will be committed, not just temporarily. I understand that the feeling of Shannon replacing her will still be there, but I feel like Kia needs to learn to live with that feeling, try to remind herself that it's not true, and just let Shannon help. All of this could be avoided if she hadn't been so hostile towards Shannon, and if she had just accepted help. I'm not really feeling sorry for Kia at this point because half of her problems she created herself, with her stubbornness in thinking that everyone will replace her and everyone wants to get rid of her. I can't help wondering if Matt would just be better off without her and fighting for custody of Cameron. I'm sorry if I sound really cruel right now, LOL, I realize that I might, but that's how I feel about all of this.
    Matt on the other hand, I do feel sorry for, he probably shouldn't have tried to keep pursuing Kia, but he did. I still don't really know if he loves her or if he's just there out of obligation, (I guess I just never really felt the love, but it's possible that all the problems from her being sick have clouded me seeing it) I'm thinking the latter, so I feel bad for him that he might be married to someone he doesn't really love, who clearly is making his life hell. Now he's been tased I'm guessing? LOL. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt has been trying to keep his promise. He never fully understood how serious her illness was because his focus was more on keeping her from terminating. Kia doesn't understand he's not trying to get rid of her. She doesn't fully trust he won't abandon her like her father did. :( It's been an issue before, her lack of trust. Now that he has Cameron to worry about he has even more pressure to contend with and he can't trust Kia either. :(

      Yes she was lucid in that moment. Kia does need to admit she needs help, especially if she wants to stay out of a hospital setting. She knows she's not fine, but she also doesn't want to be tossed away again. If she would stop letting her fear rule her and just fully trust in Matt when he says he's committed to her and their family that would really help. He's been a great guy to her and she knows it, but she just can't let go of those other feelings and that leads them into situations like this.

      LOL Matt leaving her would feed right into the fears she has. She accused him last chapter of only wanting Cameron so if he did throw in the towel that would be making a liar out of him in a way since he was constantly telling her that wasn't the case. :( So maybe on that aspect, people tossing her away wasn't all an irrational fear of hers. That would be sad. She needs one person in her life that would fight for her.

      He didn't really pursue her. They met because of her illness and he was just a friend to her that whole time. She fell in love with him, but he kept her fully in the friendzone until that prank Levi pulled. He was thrown into the relationship and is trying to do his best to make it work. You haven't missed the love. He's not in love with her, he's told Kia he's not in love with her, but he does love her. He cares for her well being as her friend and as her husband. His feelings have started to change towards her, but he's still not in love with her however they have grown from being just friends. Hope that all made sense. LOL Yes he was tased. Matt was stressed and it all kept piling on until he needed an outlet which happened to be the orderly's face. LOL

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. Wow things went from bad to worse. Poor Matt, poor Kia : ( Well now I hope charges won't be pressed on Matt for hitting the orderly. But I don't know. Maybe Jonas and Grace could file for temporary custody while Kia and Matt prove that there fit parents again. Well, just a thought. Hopefully Kia can forgive Matt for committing her but there was no other choice. Now I am worried for what comes next. But I do hope there's light at the end of tunnel for everyone involved. Great chapter can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they sure did. :( He could very well wind up back at the police station with his own set of charges. That won't go over well for the upcoming hearing about Cameron. They will have the hearing on Monday so it's very possible for Jonas and Grace to get temporary custody if the judge isn't ready to return Cameron to Matt and Kia. We have to hope that Kia won't be resentful towards Matt for having her committed. There needs to be a light at the end of the tunnel for both of them.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Well, Matt, damn it -.- You can't hope to convince them that you don't have temper issues when you go and attack security!! I still think Cameron should stay with his grandparents, though. I get that they are concerned but surely his family is their first point of contact? Is it legal to just take him away without even considering his family? I feel terrible for them both, Kia is going to hate herself even more than she does already and Matt won't forgive himself easily either. :/ The court won't find it easy to rule in his favour either given how he treated security at the hospital -.- Can't wait to see how this plays out!

    ~MischiefTheKitten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL nope, not the right way at all. Matt doesn't handle stress well, he needs an outlet for when things get bad. The counting wasn't helping and he couldn't just take off in a run so the pressure mounted until he lashed out when the orderlies were getting too aggressive (in his head) with taking Kia away.

      I explained the situation with why Cameron isn't with Grace and Jonas in my response on chapter 17. Is it legal? Yes it is because the job of CPS is to remove a child when they feel that child is in danger. Do they normally try and place the child with family if that's an option? Yes sometimes, but Ms. Logan didn't give them that option.

      Matt better hope he has a good lawyer to help him with this whole mess with Cameron. 2 good lawyers as Kia will need a criminal defense attorney since she'll be charged with attempted kidnapping and that's a serious charge. :(

      working on the next chapters now.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. Well that wasn't was I was hoping for, for sure. I understand the need to have her committed, esp under these circumstances but still. It's hard on him and he's already super stressed out. Attaching them was a BAD idea! Just more fuel for the no-compassion social worker. blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope it wasn't a good situation at all. Matt didn't want to commit her knowing how she felt about it. He's stressed and we all know Matt doesn't handle stress well. :( Attacking them was a bad idea, but he wasn't thinking clearly in that moment. Let's hope the social worker doesn't find out.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Well this just gets better, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a very, VERY bad day. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. Wow this was a stressful update lol. Poor Matt (haha I keep saying that, but it is how I feel for him).
    But seriously now. It is a very difficult time for both of them but, as far as I can see, the best solution. I think this the only way for Matt to get his son back.
    Btw, I just LOVED the shots and all the decoration. The places look so real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, very stressful for all parties involved. :( I understand, Matt is taking on a lot and it's not going well.

      This is what she needs, at least right now but he promised her he'd never commit her and so he feels like shit for doing so. It is a step to hopefully get Cameron back, but that doesn't make it any better for Matt. :(

      Aww thanks. I did some minor edits on the builds I downloaded from a friend to try and make them look realistic. Glad you liked them.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  9. Ok, I don't think punching the guy helped any, but he's under a lot of stress. Whether Kia wants it or not, I think being admitted is the best thing for her. I just hate that she doesn't understand what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, punching that guy was probably not the best idea but Matt is struggling. Kia is scared to death of being locked up, she remembers seeing her mother in the hospital. :( All she knows right now is Matt is sending her away.

      thanks for reading

      Delete