Thursday, November 5, 2015

Gen. 5.16-Matthew




Being a father was great, frightening, stressful, and wondrous all at once. I loved Cameron and for the most part he was a good baby. We’d stayed in Barnacle Bay for two weeks. It was easier since Cameron had an issue with jaundice and since we were going to use Gi-Gi as his doctor, staying there until he was better just made sense. Mom loved us being right across the street and was a big help in those first few days. My sisters were all fascinated by Cameron and kept asking to keep him. I’d taken time off from the store because I wanted to spend time with him and Kia and to keep an eye on her. Six weeks; six short weeks and my life had changed so completely.

“Are you changing him again?” I turned to see Kia propped up in the doorway.


“Yeah, he threw up on his bib,” I replied.

She walked over and gently took Cameron from me. “Normally infants out grow their clothes before they have a chance to get worn out. Cam will be the exception to that rule thanks to his father.” She gave me a playful smile.

“I can’t let him stay dirty,” I replied with a shrug.

It was true, I changed Cameron often. It didn’t matter how small the stain may have been, if he got dirty I had to change him. I couldn’t help myself. I was trying to stop it and I’d gotten a little better. The first day home I managed to go through all his onesie outfits in about two hours. It wasn’t just his clothes. I refused to let him have a pacifier because the idea that it just laid around, out in the open, collecting germs freaked me out. How could I in good conscience put that in my son’s mouth?


Kia walked over to the rocker, she and Cameron spent a lot of time there. She looked so happy and content, at least for the moment. Mom and Gi-Gi had convinced her to come to a bit of a compromise when it came to the feeding thing. Kia asked for eight weeks, she wanted that time to nurse him before going on the meds. Her doctors advised against waiting, but I was just happy she’d agreed to a time-frame. She had two weeks left and I was ready for them to pass.

We’d already had a few incidents. She’d tried to leave the hospital while I was showering. She’d gotten up, got dressed then walked out, leaving Cameron behind sleeping in his bassinet. The security guard found her wandering around the parking lot and brought her back. I was grateful Gi-Gi had already explained to the staff about Kia’s special care requirements. I knew I had to go back to work at some point, but the idea of leaving Kia home alone with Cameron made me physically ill. Every time I thought about it I recalled the panic that set in the day I’d come back from a quick trip to the store to find the door wide open and Kia nowhere to be found. Our neighbor, Mrs. Hewitt, was comforting Cameron. His face was all red and I knew he’d been crying.


“Did you have a chance to look over the list of applicants?” I asked cautiously.

After that day, I brought up getting a nanny, another idea Kia was opposed to. She accused me of not trusting her and thinking she’d cause harm to Cameron. When I couldn’t deny her claims, she spent hours locked in our room crying. Kia ignored my question, choosing instead to keep her focus on Cameron. His little fingers were wrapped around hers while she stroked them with her thumb. Kia hummed softly as she continued to rock him. Cameron’s eyelids lowered as he drifted off into a peaceful sleep. I watched as Kia leaned down to give him a kiss on his forehead.


“Will you take him?”

I moved forward, gathering Cameron’s sleeping form from Kia, being careful to not wake him. He fussed a little when I put him in the crib. Klutz walked into the nursery, and did a few turns before claiming his spot on the rug in front of the crib. Mom had told me Vor had done the same thing when I was born. I guess he was a lot like his father. Quietly I crept from the room, closing the door slightly, but leaving enough space should Klutz want to come out. I found Kia sitting downstairs at the kitchen table, the applicant folders were spread out in front of her.


“How do you expect me to pick my replacement?” Her voice sounded strained and I knew tears would be on the way.

One…two…three…“It’s not a replacement, Kia. We’ve been over this.” I kneeled down in front of her, taking her hands into mine. “We were lucky it was Mrs. Hewitt that found Cameron that day and not some stranger walking by. I am trying Kia and I need you to work with me here and not against me!”

She frowned and pulled her hands away. “What are you talking about? What day?”

Shit! One…two…three…four…


“Matt! What day? Are you saying I left Cameron alone? I wouldn’t do that! I wouldn’t!” she cried.

“You didn’t mean to Kia, you…you just forgot…”

“I left him alone? Where is he? Is he hurt? Where is he Matt?”


The tears were falling. She gave me a panicked, pleading look needing answers. My stomach twisted in knots. The pounding in my head started. One…two…three…four…five… She was more lost than ever thinking Cameron was hurt now. I pulled her to me, hugging her tightly. Kia cried into my chest. I took slow, controlled breaths struggling to keep my anxiety down as her hysterics crept up.

…ten…eleven…twelve… “Shh, he’s fine. I promise he’s fine. He’s upstairs sleeping,” I crooned while stroking her hair.


A week later, Aunt Hope and Uncle Caleb arrived for a visit. She’d been eager to come, but they had to wait until Uncle Caleb could take some time off work, plus I think Mom convinced her to give us some time to get settled. Of course they’d come with loads of gifts from the extended family in Aurora Skies. ‘Uncle’ Wolfie and ‘Aunt’ Abby had already set us up with diapers for life, well as long as Cam needed them anyway. It was some sort of diaper club that sent monthly shipments automatically, I only had to go in and change the size we needed. It also came with a weekly pickup service since they were some kind of compost friendly diapers.

I was just happy to see them and have some help. I was starting to feel like the walls were closing in around me. Just being able to get out and run again made me feel like a new person. I could go and clear my head. I would push myself until that knot eased and I no longer felt like the world was coming to an end. I loved my family and I hated feeling like I was failing them both.

“Don’t you want another one?” I heard Aunt Hope ask as I walked into the house.


“You’re joking right? Shouldn’t we leave that up to the younger ones in the family?”

“Are you calling me old, McIntyre?”

“I’d answer that question carefully Uncle Caleb,” I laughed.

“Of course not, baby. You’re as beautiful as the day I met you.” He walked over and gave her a kiss on the check then whispered something in her ear. From the smile that appeared on her face, I knew I didn’t even want to know what he said.

“So where’s Kia?”


Aunt Hope walked over and put Cameron in his bouncer. “She’s upstairs. She hasn’t come down at all.”

I nodded before slowly heading up the stairs. A few days after the break down in the kitchen, Kia shocked me by saying she was ready to go on the trial meds. She started pumping instead of nursing Cam directly so he’d have a small supply before going on formula full time. Unfortunately she wasn’t handling them well. They made her nauseous and more depressed than she was before. If she wasn't getting sick, she seemed to be crying all the time and I felt like I’d bullied her into this choice. She was miserable; she hadn’t held or even looked at Cameron in days. Her doctors said it would take some time to adjust, but I hated seeing her like this.


Kia was curled up sleeping when I walked into the room. I took a seat on the edge of the bed. She looked so peaceful right now, but I could see the tear stains on her cheeks. Moving a few strands of hair out of the way, I leaned forward and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“I really hope all your suffering isn’t in vain,” I whispered before heading to shower.

****

Thanks to Piazzagirl1015 for the use of Caleb and Hope McIntyre. 

14 comments:

  1. Matthew is turning out to be a wonderful father but I see that he is handling fatherhood with the same cautious behavior he has with everything else in life. That was so like Matt when wouldn't let Cam use the pacifer and he changed Cam after every little stain. Someone needs to let him know that babies do get their clothes a little messy and if he spit up on his bib he only needed his bib changed.

    Matt's problems with the baby are little compared to the worries I have about Kia. It is not a good sign that she walked out of the hospital or that the next door neighbor found Cam alone. What is even worse is that Kia didn't even remember the incident. I think its a very good idea that they get some help and I do hope that Matt will be able to convince Kia that he is not hiring her replacement. I was hoping that once she started the trial meds things would get better but she seems to be having a bad reaction to them. :(

    I love the visit for Aunt Hope and Uncle Caleb and something tells me that they will be having more and more babies as time goes by. Compost friendly diapers is exactly the type of gift that Uncle Wolfie and Aunt Abby would send :)

    I enjoyed this update and I'm looking forward to the next :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly trying. He likes order and routine and babies don't know the meaning of either of those words. LOL hahaha the pacifier thing was something Matt would think about. I could see him going through a sterilizing routine each time before he let Cam have it. It was better to just not give him one. Yeah, I'm sure Kia has tried to tell him only change the bib but that wouldn't be good enough for Matt. They do a lot of laundry in that house.

      Yeah, Kia's getting worse. The wandering off is bad. :( She walked out of the hospital to go home and she left Cam to go on a walk. :( Kia didn't remember, well she had at one point which is why Matt brought it up, but she'd forgotten again then she thought it was recent as in she just did it. :( So yeah Matt has his hands full. He wants her input on the nurse that'll come in to help but Kia is feeling like he's trying to force her out. She really does want what's best for Cam so she agreed to go on the meds earlier than planned. Sadly she's not handling them well. :( Hopefully once they get into her system, things will balance out, but only time will tell since this is all trial and error right now.

      Yep, Hope and Caleb had to come visit. Grace got her time in since they stayed in BB for a few weeks. Cam is giving Aunt Hope baby fever. Sorry LOL. I thought you'd like the compost friendly diapers. They have a mission to complete so if they aren't pushing cloth diapers, they needed to set up Eco-friendly disposable options. ;)

      I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Wow, Kia... I can't even imagine the feeling of not remembering that you left your own child. I felt bad for her when Matt told her what happened and she got so sad about it. I am glad she went on her medication, but no big surprise it is causing side effects as most medication does. I was a little scared when Matt found Kia in the bedroom curled up that she might have done something to harm herself, but I'm going to think more positively and believe that she was just taking a nap. LOL.

    Matt's OCD is getting a little out there, haha, but that's to be expected, his intentions for wanting to keep Cameron safe from germs are good intentions. Someone needs to tell Matt too though, if Cameron never gets exposed to germs ever, he will not be healthy because his immune system will not learn how to fight off things like the regular cold...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia took the news she left Cam alone hard. :( She really does want to be a good mom to him, but her mind is working against her. Matt's trying to get her help but she's fighting him. The meds are uncharted territory. There isn't any treatment as of now for Hart's so they are trying meds for similar memory diseases and she's not handling them well. :( Nope she was just sleeping. If she's not puking, she's sleeping.

      Matt's OCD comes out more when he's stressed and his stress is at an all time high. :( He can't help it, he said he's trying, but it's not something he can really stop. Cam is exposed to germs, I'm sure Klutz gives plenty of kisses to Cam. LOL And Matt has held back on installing one of those decontamination chambers for people to walk through before they come into the house. LOL

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Matt has adjusted so well to being a dad, but this must be terribly hard for Kia. Knowing that she's just walked out on her crying baby not realising it's hers must be doing her in! I'm glad she's agreed to start taking the meds and hope she adjusts soon. Right now it seems like she's just swapped one evil for another, and it must be taking its toll on Matt, too. How he's holding up, I don't know :( I wonder how all this will affect Cam when he's older, if it will at all. Maybe he's too young for it to really affect him?

    ~Mischief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt is trying. He grew up with a great role model and they are always willing to help whenever he calls. He loves Cam regardless of how he came to be. Kia is struggling. She too loves Cam, but she's getting worse. Matt hopes she adjusts to the meds soon as well since he doesn't like to see her suffering.

      Matt is struggling. His stress level is at an all time high. Taking care of Cam, trying to take care of Kia as much as she'll let him. He doesn't feel like he can trust her alone with the baby. It's a lot on his shoulders which is why he's trying to hire some help.

      Cam is only a month or so right now so he doesn't know what's going on. Hopefully they will get Kia straightened out before he gets older so he won't be affected by this.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. I'm late to the party with my comment, I know, but I'm so behind with everything right now that I barely know which end is up. I'm glad I saw this and got a chance to read it now. :)

    Man, Kia is having an awful time of it. She walks out of the hospital, then one day, leaves Cam alone and then doesn't remember it. :( She's reluctant to admit they need help and then, the meds aren't going well for her. Matt also has his hands full, and the poor guy is trying to do the best he can. I felt so bad when he felt like he was failing both Cameron and Kia. :(

    I'm not surprised that his OCD tendencies are kicking in. It was kinda funny to see him changing the baby so often but he needs to know that babies can and do get messy. Matt, give the kid a pacifier, man! It won't Hirt him. LOL.

    It's great that Hope and Caleb came for a visit to help, as Matt and Kia really needed that.

    Looking forward to seeing what's next. Let's hope Kia feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. The story isn't going anywhere and you've had a lot going on in RL.

      Kia is having a hard time of things. :( She's getting worse, and refusing help. Matt is trying but she's fighting him on things which doesn't help. The meds aren't going well for her sadly. It's all experimental since there hasn't been any sort of treatment into her exact illness so they are guessing more than anything. :( Matt doesn't do stress well and he's drowning right now.

      LOL those OCD tendencies are in full force. Cameron is probably the cleanest baby ever since Matt won't let him stay dirty. Nope, Cam won't be getting a pacifier LOL Matt can't do it. He'd have to sterilize it each time before putting it in Cam's mouth and by then he wouldn't need it.

      The family had to come visit. Since they spent a few weeks in Barnacle Bay, Grace and Jonas got some time to spoil Cam as did Matt's sisters who think Cam's a doll. LOL Hope had to come meet her great nephew :) and give Matt some much needed help.

      working on the next chapters hope to have them out soon. :)

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, the amount of stress those two must be going through is crazy. They need all the extra help they can get I think
    Matt is so good with is son and I can't imagine coming home to a neighbor taking care of the baby because Kia wandered off. I hope, however miserable she is now, that those meds have a positive effect on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah stress is at an all time high right now. Matt is working to get some help in but Kia is not open to the idea. She fears being replaced or left behind thanks to her father so Matt has a lot to combat.

      Matt freaked out to come home to find Kia gone and the neighbor there. It could have been so much worse and he knows it. :( We have to hope the meds work since it's really their only hope.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. Oh, I have the worst feeling in my gut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know for whom it's worse, for Kia, forgetting her own kid or for Matt, knowing that this could happen again and they couldn't be that lucky next time...
    I feel so sorry for him, he's such a good guy and has all kind of troubles. His patience is extraordinary. I can tell from my own experience how difficult it is to live with a depressive person. And she's not only depressive, there are also the other problems she has. I only hope the kid won't inherit her sickess.
    Lets see how hte treatment works. I hope. The symptoms will disappear soon and she'll feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a terrible situation. Matt is trying and he knows Kia isn't doing it on purpose, but it's still hard. They were lucky this time that the neighbor found him, it could have been much worse.

      I know. :( Man, the poor guy hasn't had it easy has he? He is his father's son so he gets that patience from Jonas. Kia is depressed at times because of what's happening to her, on top of her illness and other fears. It's a lot for someone to handle, but Matt's trying. With the way I wrote it, only females could suffer from the illness so Cameron won't get it. Now he could be a carrier, you never know when the gene will pop up.

      thanks for reading

      Delete