Saturday, November 21, 2015

Gen. 5.17-Matthew




I sat at my desk taking a quick quiet moment. Work was the one place I could be on top of things. Most days the store ran like a well-oiled machine. I had reliable people that really stepped up while I was gone. Today, however, was not one of those days. My shift manager called in sick because her daughter was up all night running a fever. Because she needed to be out, I had to come in and open since the cashiers and other department personnel didn’t have keys. Chuck was thirty minutes late due to a flat tire so that left me having to help with the registers since we were unusually busy right at opening. I was lucky that Shannon was able to come in earlier to accommodate my change in schedule.

Before Aunt Hope and Uncle Caleb left, I’d had them help me sort through the applicants for the in home nurses. With their help, I hired Shannon Collier. She’d been with Helping Hands In Home Care for six years and some of her previous jobs had been with elderly patients with onset Alzheimer’s. During the interview, she was the one that seemed best capable to handle Kia’s needs since the other applicants were more nanny orientated.  She’d been with us now for nearly two months and things had been good. Well as good as could be since Kia didn’t like her. She kept insisting I was trying to replace her and take Cameron from her, at least on the days she could remember Cameron.

Kia was getting worse. They’d changed her meds because the first combination was doing more harm than good. She couldn’t eat and had lost nearly ten pounds in a matter of weeks because of it. The new ones weren’t any better. Kia was cranky and her memory was getting worse. It was almost as if the medicines were speeding up her disease instead of slowing it down. In a fit of anger, Kia flushed her meds last week and refused to entertain any talks of trying any more. She was changing so much and I was scared of the unknown with her.


There was a light knock at my door before Annette popped her head in. “Um…Mr. Solo sorry to bother, but…there’s a um…there’s a cop here looking for you.” She stepped to the side and the officer stepped in. From the look on his face this was not going to be anything but bad news. News I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear. One…two…three…four…five…six…seven…eight…nine….

“Mr. Solo did you hear me?”

“Huh? Yeah...um…”

“Come with me sir, I’ll give you a ride to the station.”


The station? I was going to the station. I stood and grabbed my keys. Where was my phone? I patted down my body, not feeling it in my pockets and it wasn’t on my desk. I must have left it in the car. I followed the officer through the store, I couldn’t remember his name. He looked familiar he might have been the same one that’s responded to the house when Kia has called the police on me. Once outside, I headed towards my car but the officer stopped me.

“I think I should drive, sir.”

“My phone, I…it’s in the car.” He nodded his understanding before walking me to his patrol car.

I got in the passenger’s seat and he retrieved my phone for me. He talked during the short drive but his words barely registered.

As soon as I walked through the doors Shannon rushed towards me. “Matt I’m so sorry. She jammed a chair under the knob when I went to bathroom. The police had to let me out when they came to the house looking for you. I’m so sorry.”


“Ha…have they found him yet?” The words sounded foreign to my ears even though I’d spoken them. She dropped her eyes and shook her head. One…two…three…four…five…

“Mr. Solo this way, I’ll take you to your wife.” He lead us past the reception area, through a secured door and up the stairs to another part of the building.

“One…two…three…” I started counting softly; the cop looked back at me, but said nothing. “…four…five…six…” My legs were heavy, my head pounded. “…seven…eight…nine…” I tried to focus on the officer in front of me instead of the whispers and looks from the others in the station. “…ten…eleven…twelve…” I passed by a woman complaining, as she cradled her baby close.


She was telling the detective how this crazy woman snatched her child and was screaming at her and how she feared for her life and the life of her child.

“…thirteen…fourteen…fifteen…” I heard frantic yelling and I knew her voice before I saw her. Kia paced back and forth in the small holding cell.

“Let me out of here! I’m going to be late for class!”


“…sixteen…seventeen…eighteen…” I could feel the increased pounding of my heart as I approached the bars “Kia.”

 She cocked her head to the side as she looked at me. “Are you in charge? Can you tell these rude people to let me out of here?”

My throat was tight. My hands gripped onto the bars. “I…I’ll see what…Kia where’s Cameron?”

“Cameron? I don’t know any Cameron. Now let me out of here. What are you even holding me for?”

“Kia! Your son! Our son!” I yelled. All heads turned towards us. “Where is he? Where did you take him?”

Kia stumbled back. “I…I…what? I…I don’t…” She started mumbling to herself, hitting her palm against the side of her head. “Matt…” She turned and looked at me. “Matt!”


“Yeah Kia, it’s me. I need you to think. Please!”

“I…I…”

“This isn’t happening. Please this cannot be happening,” I muttered to myself. A knot twisted in my stomach. There was a burning in my throat as I fought down the urge to vomit. My son was missing, my wife took off with him and left him behind.


“He’s small and helpless and…” I looked up at Kia, she sat on the bench sobbing saying she was sorry over and over. I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“We’re canvasing the park where,” the officer paused then lowered his voice before continuing, “where she tried to take the other baby.” He stepped forward to open the cell door. “Miss, come with me please.”

“Wait! Where are you taking her?” I asked, rushing towards Kia.

“Relax, I’m going to let you two go into one of the offices…for more privacy.”


I put my arm around Kia as I followed the officer. Somewhere in the background I heard the other woman fussing about Kia being let go and how she was a danger and needed to be locked up.

This wasn’t right. “One…two…three…” I needed to be out there looking for my son. “…four…five…six…” Kia was still crying, saying she was sorry and I wondered if she even knew what she was sorry for. “…seven…eight…nine…” I wanted to be angry at her. She’d done this, but I couldn’t.

As much as I wanted to be mad at her, I only felt pity and sorrow.

The officer opened the door, Kia looked up at me and smiled. “Matt, why aren’t you at work?” She looked around. “Where are we?”

The officer looked at me. I opened my mouth to reply, but quickly turned to the trashcan by the desk instead. My head was pounding, my ears ringing, and I heaved until I had nothing left. A paper towel was being held in front of my face. I muttered a thanks as I took it.


I looked over to see Shannon consoling Kia, I could tell Shannon had told her what was going on. The officer handed me a bottle of water before taking the trash can and leaving the room.

“Matt,” Kia said softly as she approached me. She reached out for me and I stepped back. “Matt…I’m sorry…I…I didn’t do this on purpose,” she cried.

“Why Kia? Why did you do it?”
 
“I…I just wanted some time without being watched. It just felt like you didn’t trust me.”


“I don’t!” I screamed. “Not with my son. I don’t. I’m sorry, but with you…like this…how could I?”

Kia’s face crumpled. The truth of my words hurt her, I could see that clearly, but I didn’t have that urge to apologize. Cameron was out there because of her selfish actions.

“That’s all you care about? Him! You’ve never cared about me! You’ve never wanted any of this! Never wanted me, you only wanted the baby!”

“Don’t! Don’t you dare say that about me. I’ve tried and you’ve been fighting me every fucking step! I’ve been there for you, Kia! My family has been there for you and still…still you do this! Cameron is missing because you wanted time?! You’ve left him before. Twice before, so no I don’t trust you. I can’t. I hired Shannon to help you. To help us and this is what you did. You knew, in that moment, you knew what you were doing yet you did it anyway. Cameron is out there and we may never see him again! So was it worth Kia? Was it?” I shouted.

  
Kia broke down into tears. I should have felt bad, I knew it wasn’t her fault, but felt the pressure grinding on me. I was terrified something horrible was happening to Cameron. The thought of never seeing him again gnawed at me. I took a deep breathe, letting out a slow exhale. 


Shannon walked over, putting her arm around Kia just as the door opened. The officer walked in followed by an unfriendly looking woman.

“Mr., Mrs. Solo this is Norma Logan, she’s from Child Protective Services.” The officer gave me an apologetic look before exiting the room.
One…two…three…

“I know this must be a difficult time for both of you,” she said, but her words didn’t seem sincere. She looked at both Kia and I as if she was judging us.

I looked over at Kia who was still being comforted by Shannon before answering. “Yes, very. Can I ask why someone from CPS is here?”


She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “It’s procedure considering the circumstances.”

Five…six…seven… “Um, circumstances? Do you know anything about where my son is? Has he been found?”

Ms. Logan put down her briefcase and took a seat, directing me to do the same. She pulled out her tablet, turned it on then handed it to me. “Is that your son?”


“Yes! Is he okay, where is he?” I asked, feeling the slightest bit of hope for the first time since Annette knocked on my door. Kia looked over, running her fingers over the screen of the tablet.

Ms. Logan reached forward, taking the tablet from me. “I have a few questions.”

“Questions? Where the hell is my son? Is he okay?” I questioned, jumping up from the sofa.

“Do you always have such a temper Mr. Solo?” she asked.


“Temper? No…my son is missing, you obviously know something but won’t say. I’m stressed, and worried Ms. Logan so please just tell us if Cameron is okay and where he is!”

She looked down at her skirt, brushing off air as far as I could tell. “My apologies. Cameron is fine. He’s at Mercy General right now. A woman dropped him off but left before the police could question her. He’s been checked out and appears to be in good health.”

Kia let out a sigh of relief, but although I was happy to hear Cameron was safe, I knew with her here, we weren’t out of the woods yet.

“When can we take him home?” Kia asked.

“You can’t,” Ms. Logan replied bluntly. 

**A/N**
Thanks to Daijah for the use of her police station. The build is Fremont Police Station as seen in her story The Midnight Kiss. It's been altered by me for my story needs as always. :) The link may not include the CC. If you want/need it, send me a PM so I can give it to you. :)

18 comments:

  1. OMG! How horrible! Oh,my! This has to be the most frightening time for Matt. He's uncertain about things with Kia, hence the nurse, who Kia thwarts. Then, she leaves Cameron behind and Matt is called to the police station. To make matters even worse, they've got a holier-than-thou social worker on their hands. As Al from Quantum Leap would say, "This is not good, Sam!"

    That social worker is going to be a thorn in Matt's side, I just have that hunch. If it looks like a bitch (she certainly does) and acts like a bitch (most definitely, she does), then it's a bitch. Poor Matt and Kia! I wonder what they're gonna do now. Things have reached a level of all time desperation. :(

    Looking forward to and dreading what is next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( Things aren't looking good for Matt and Kia. Matt is terrified right now. All he wanted was to be a good husband and father and he's feeling like a failure. He got help because he knew he needed it and Kia...locking the nurse in the bathroom was not a good move. Now she's walked away from him, and on top of that tried to take someone else's child. :(

      LOL you don't like Ms. Logan? She not giving you the warm and fuzzies? She doesn't seem to be friendly at all or compassionate on any level. Let's hope she loosens up or she can make life really hard on Matt and Kia. She already has judged them to be unfit in that short meeting so it's about to be an uphill battle to get Cameron back.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Oh my Lord things couldn't get much worse could they? The meds were not working as they should and Kia seems out of control. Matt hired help for her which she obviously needed and she is fighting him every single step of the way. We know that it is the illness that is doing this to her but there has to be another way to get it through to her that Matt wants to help and not get rid of her. She didn't even know Cameron existed at one point and the fact that she locked her care taker in the bathroom just says straight out that she is too dangerous to be left around the baby. Thankfully someone good found the baby and brought him to the hospital they were lucky this time but will they be lucky the next time.

    Maybe Matt shouldn't have yelled at Kia to say that he didn't trust her the way he did but I can't blame him because this had to a nightmare for him. Now that CPS is involved it doesn't look like this nightmare is going to end anytime soon. Kia may not have any choice anymore she might have to go back on those meds because I'm sure the social workers are not going to let this incident go by so easily.

    I feel so bad for Matt right now as I imagine he won't know what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is certainly a worst case scenario. :( They always knew the meds were a risk since they didn't have a treatment for her illness and they were just trying other drug options. Matt knew he couldn't stay home forever so he was smart to get help in for when he had to work. She's getting worse and is scared Matt is going to get rid of her like her father did. :( She did forget she had Cameron when Matt asked about him, so that is not a good sign at all. They were very lucky someone good found him and took him to a safe place. This was the second time Kia has left him like that on top of walking out of the hospital. They have been lucky twice that it was a friendly person that found Cameron, but how long could that luck last?

      Matt is stressed. Beyond stressed right now! He's trying to keep control, but he lost it for a little there. He knows that Kia wouldn't do anything purposely to harm Cameron, but he also knows her condition could mean something bad could happen so he didn't trust her alone with him. Sad, but it is just the truth of the situation. Yep, now that CPS is involved there will be a complete investigation and they could lose Cameron for more than just the weekend. :( She needs help and she needs to admit she does and commit to a treatment.

      It's a sad situation for sure. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. OMFG, 'you can't.' What chilling words from robot child services lady.
    This really stinks. Matt is trying so hard to just live a normal life, and Kia's illness is completely not letting him do that. Ugh, even with the nurse there, it's not helping. That really and truly sucks for him. I did want to punch CPS lady when she asked if he always had a temper. It seems that the CPS people see parents at their worst, and so they just assume they're unfit, but it's like, if Matt had no emotion about his child beings missing, that to me would be considered more of an unfit parent. LOL. *shakes head at how CPS people always seem to twist circumstances*
    I'm not sure what to think about Kia... I know none of this is her fault, because she's got that horrible memory disease, but I can't help wondering if what Matt said was true, if she does deep down want to do stuff like this because she resents Cameron? I don't think that's actually the case, but it's hard to tell. Something about what Matt said when he was telling her that he really doesn't trust her, when he says 'you knew in that moment, you knew what you were doing,' if that's just him being mad and saying that, or if he actually thinks that.
    Really good chapter. I loved the police station, it was good and chaotic. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Robot CPS lady. She does seem rather unfeeling doesn't she? :(

      Matt is trying to do everything he can and it's not easy. Kia is fighting him mostly out of fear. She thinks he's going to get rid of her like her father did and can't fully see that Matt wants to help. He's told her over and over he's committed to her, but it's hard to make her believe it. :( Yeah!! That question about his temper was out of place. Considering the situation, patience is expected to be low when their child is missing but she's looking for things, anything, to aid her preconceived idea of what kind of people Matt and Kia are. :( You are very right, some people in that job look to twist a situation to fit what they have already determined instead of keeping an open mind.

      Kia, yeah most of her issues are because of her illness. Some of her actions stem from her fear of rejection thanks to her father. Matt has tried to be understanding, but in that moment some of his true feelings came out because of the stress. Yes she forgets, but to lock the nurse in the bathroom was a very lucid moment so he was angry about that. She doesn't trust him to keep his word and her actions prove that. He got her a nurse, not to replace her, but to give her the help she needed when he's at work. He's tired of having to prove himself to her which he's done constantly because of her fears. Now her fears and actions have put Cameron at risk and they are faced with the risk of losing their rights. :( I don't think she resents Cameron, but she's always known (and said) that the only reason he's with her was because she got pregnant. He didn't even plan to have sex with her so she fears he's waiting for the next best thing to come along and he'll get rid of her. :(

      Thanks, glad you liked that.

      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. "You can't." What biting words cps Lady. I don't like her already. Maybe, Kia would've have felt less threatened if Matt had a hired a male nurse? Well I guess it's to late for that she already locked up Shannon in the bathroom. : ( At least someone good picked up Cameron, they got lucky this time. Now Kia needs treatment something better then medication. Though the law is probably pushing to have her committed after this little episode I mean she even forgotten who her son was and attacked a random lady for her baby. Well off to the next chapter kinda of anxious to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah :( Not the words Matt wanted to hear. She's not a friendly person by any means. It's possible Kia would have felt less threatened with a male nurse who knows, but it's too late now. Matt tried to let her help pick but she refused.

      They were very lucky that someone good found Cameron, it could have been so much worse. The law could get involved and push for some sort of in treatment option for Kia. She's in a world of trouble. Matt is in over his head. :(

      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Well, that's bullshit -.- Even if Kia can't look after the baby, Matt is more than capable and surely his family would be the first point of contact? Why were they not asked to look after the baby? So angry with that woman right now -.- (the social worker, not Kia - I'm mostly sad for Kia)

    ~MischiefTheKitten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Matt is capable, but a lot of times in situations like that if one 'unfit' parent is living in the house, the child is removed from both until after the case is investigated. :( So it's sorta like guilty by association since Matt and Kia are married and if Matt knew Kia had issues and still let her care for the child then he's just as bad. This is an emergency situation since Kia did leave Cameron and tried to take someone else's child.

      As for his family, well they don't live in the same town. Matt lives in Riverview and the family still lives in Barnacle Bay so they fall under two different jurisdictions. Plus Ms. Logan is a bitch and didn't even offer up the option of other family taking him for the weekend. :( Had she told them Matt may have thought to call his parents, but as it stood he was just hit with bad news after bad news and the thought to question it didn't cross his mind since he's not been faced with this before. He doesn't really know what to do. :( Hopefully that will be an option at the hearing on Monday.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. "You can't." Oh whatever! Kia messed up big time but they were doing everything they could short of sending her to an asylum or something. There is no reason to keep that baby from Matt!
    Honestly I'm super relieved he was found and taken to the hospital. At first I had a fear the person was going to keep him, ransom him, or turn out to be his ex looking to get revenge on him.
    (so glad you've already put out the next update so I don't have to wait!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Ms. Logan was not releasing Cameron back to them. She wants an full investigation into whether or not they get him back at all which is wrong. She came in making judgements without even stopping to look at all the facts.

      Yep, it could have been a lot worse. Luckily the person that found him was not some evil person. They did the right thing and took him somewhere safe. :)

      Yep, you don't have to wait to see what happens.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Wow this time Kia screwed up a lot. I'm not sure if Matt will be able to forgive her. I'm not even sure if she can stay there, with him and Cameron. Could be that Matt will have to choose between Kia or his own son.
    Kia, now more than ever, represents a danger for the kid. She proved once more that she's not able to take care of her son. I feel sorry for her too but still...
    I see lots of emotions going on there. I hope Matt won't lose his son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she did. :( Matt is pissed right now. He's been trying to get her help, hired someone to watch her, and she still did this. Put Cameron at risk and now he's stuck.

      Yes, she has been a danger to Cameron before, but now she's really screwed up. Matt knew she couldn't be left alone with Cameron but he never expected her to pull a stunt like this. :(

      Let's hope Matt doesn't lose his son.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! Thank goodness Cameron is ok, but what are they going to do now?? It's time to realize that Kia cannot be trusted and it's too dangerous to let her around the baby. I really hope Matt gets the baby back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, luckily someone good found Cameron and did the right thing. Matt knew she needed help which is why he hired Shannon but Kia was sneaky and escaped her. Matt has a lot going on already without having to fight to get his son back. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete