Sunday, March 8, 2015

Gen. 5.8-Matthew


My head was pounding. I opened my eyes slowly only to close them again to block out the offending light. Man! What the hell was in that drink? Note to self, don’t let Levi play bartender again!


Someone shifted beside me, I wasn’t alone. I turned my head to see Kia sleeping peacefully beside me. I didn’t even remember Kia being at the party. I just hoped she didn’t freak out when she woke up like the first time we met. She shifted, turning her back to me and that’s when I noticed she was topless. I didn’t know if it was the drink or fear that make my stomach do a flip. Slowly I lifted the covers. Shit! I eased out of bed and quickly pulled on my boxers. One, two, three… Maybe, hopefully we both just passed out before anything happened. As quietly as I could, I exited the room, making my way down the hall to the bathrooms. Levi was exiting the bathroom as I opened the door.


“Matty boy, you look like shit this morning!” he said laughing.

“What the hell man! That drink knocked me on my ass.”

His smile got bigger. “When I saw you and that crazy chick heading up stairs you didn’t appear too knocked out. You can thank the love doctor for that.”


I wracked my fuzzy brain trying to remember. Love doctor….shit, that herb. “You spiked my drink!?”

“Payback Matty boy, payback. You don’t think I know it was you that put liver flavored dog toothpaste in my tube! Besides no harm done, I was actually doing her a favor since Madame Nutcase has been lusting after you all these years. Tell her she can thank me later.”

One, two, three...I did that nearly two weeks ago, I still had the video on my phone. …four, five, six…He invited Kia? He set this all up. My stomach lurched and I pushed past him rushing for a stall. I could hear him laughing as he headed back to his room. Disjointed memories came back. Me kissing her, she helped me upstairs to my room and I couldn’t keep my hands off her.

After emptying my stomach, I rinsed out my mouth and splashed some water on my face. There was still the possibility I passed out. It’s not that I didn’t like Kia, she was pretty and fun to hang around with at times, but she seemed like the type that would want to be serious and I didn’t want that. She was pulling her shirt down just as I walked back into my room. She had the biggest smile on her face.


“Good morning. I’m starving, you think we can…” her words faded. “You okay?”

I nodded, but avoided looking at her as I pulled on my discarded jeans from last night.

“You don’t look okay.”

“Hung over I guess. Look, maybe you should head home. I just need to sleep it off.” I rubbed my neck nervously hoping she’d go without causing a scene.


“I don’t mind staying. After last night…”

“Yeah about that,” I said cutting her off.

She smiled again. “Yeah, it was…”

“A mistake, I know.” I blurted out.

Her smile dropped. “I was going to say great, but…guess you think otherwise.”


Shit! One, two, three… “I...I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just last night, Levi he was messing around and spiked my drink so I wasn’t myself. So…so I’m sorry. I…I wouldn’t have…”

“Slept with the crazy girl!” she finished.

“What? No.”


“I know what everyone thinks of me Matt! They laugh and whisper about me. I…I just thought you were different.” Tears started falling and she quickly turned, looking for her jeans.

This was bad, really bad. I couldn’t believe Levi would do something like this. I felt my anxiety rising. I took deep slow breaths.

“I am Kia, it’s just…we’re friends. You just got dragged into something that shouldn’t have happened.”

She said nothing as she continued to put on her shoes. Her constant sniffling made me feel even more like crap. I started pacing, and counting over and over in my head. My fingers flexed open and close as I tried to figure out how to fix this. Kia got up from the bed wiping her eyes. I was going to kick Levi’s butt for what he did.


“I hope you feel better,” she mumbled before heading towards the door.

I should have stopped her, but hell I didn’t know what to say. So far my attempts to apologize only seemed to make her angrier. After she left, I fell back into bed and slept the rest of the day.

The two weeks of finals were a killer.


I had a hard time concentrating and hoped to hell I passed them. I’d not heard from or seen Kia since she left that day. I’d tried texting and calling, but she wouldn’t respond. Levi and I got into an argument about it. He tried to act like it wasn’t a big deal, just harmless fun, but he didn’t have to deal with the fallout. I knew Kia liked me as more than a friend and I had been careful not to cross the line with her. 

The longer I went without talking to Kia, the more anxious I started to feel. I didn’t like how upset she was when she left. Then again she was forgetful, so maybe she forgot. I quickly dismissed that option; one doesn’t just forget something like that. Three weeks had gone by, and still not a word from Kia. She didn’t even show up to the graduation informational meeting. She was so excited before about this being her last year, for whatever reason, she didn’t think she’d make it through. Her not being at that meeting was the last straw. As much as I hated confrontation, I needed to at least make sure she was okay. It was only once I got to her building that I realized I had no idea where her room was. I’d only been outside since she would normally just come out to meet me.


“Excuse me,” I said to one of the girls coming out of the building. “Do you happen to know which room Kia Borders stays in?”

“What would someone like you want with Crazy Kia?”

Someone like me? What the hell did that mean? “She’s a friend.” I answered ignoring the derogatory label she’d attached to Kia’s name.

“Huh. Who knew the freak had friends, especially one as cute as you.”


“Well she does,” I replied getting pissed at this chick’s attitude. “Do you know which room or not?”

“Yeah, we all know what room she’s in. 24D, but you don’t want to go in there. I’m headed to the Grotto, wanna join me?” She put on what I was guessing to be her flirty smile.

“No.” I walked passed her into the building. It didn’t take me long to find Kia’s room. I knocked. No answer. I knocked again and turned the knob to find the door was unlocked.


A nauseating smell assaulted my nose as soon as I opened the door. The blinds were drawn, but the sun still lit up the room enough for me to see it was a mess. Clothes and food containers were everywhere. How could anyone live like this? How had she not been kicked out of the dorms? On the bed, under the covers was a lump and I wasn’t sure if it was clothes, or Kia, but then it moved.

“Kia!”

“Matt?” she said, sounding groggy. “Wha…what are you doing here?” She peeked out from under the covers to look at me.

 “I’ve been trying to reach you,” I replied walking over to open one of the windows. I desperately needed air flow to help with the smell.


She sat up and I noticed she was wearing my shirt. It was dirty and stained, like she hadn’t washed it in weeks, if not longer, but then again judging by the looks of things that could be the case. I pushed aside my OCD need to start cleaning and focused on my reason for being here.

“I’ve been worried about you.”

“No need, I’m fine.”

“This doesn’t look fine Kia.”

Her face turned red. “Oh my goodness, Matt. You should have called first.” 

She rushed from the bed and started trying to clean up the place. I don’t know if it was the sudden movement, but she wobbled a bit and I barely caught her before she hit the floor.


“I don’t feel so good.” The words were barely out of her mouth before she leaned forward vomiting in the trashcan that sat near the bed. It apparently was the source of the smell, indicating this wasn’t the first time she’d gotten sick.

One…two…three…I counted as I turned towards the open window. I needed the fresh air or I would be getting sick too. I tried to block out the retching sounds behind me. Nine…ten…eleven…

“Sorry,” she mumbled once she’d finished. “I’ve not been feeling well for a few days.”


“Have you gone to the campus clinic?”
She shook her head.
“Maybe you should go shower and then I’ll walk you there.”

She ran her hand through her matted hair but didn’t respond immediately. “I don’t need your pity Matt. We’re graduating. You’re going your way, I’m going mine, so you can forget your lapse in judgment and never worry about your charity case ever again.”

“Charity case? What? So this whole time you’ve thought I was your friend because I felt sorry for you?”


She took a step, wobbling a bit before steadying herself. “I am going to go shower Matt. You can go.”

I watched as she made an unsteady exit from her room. Why was I the bad guy here? I’d been honest with her, I’d always tried to be honest with her. I couldn’t believe she actually thought I’d done all those things with her because I felt sorry for her. Maybe I should just listen to everyone and just leave her alone. As I was leaving her room, I saw people running down the hall. I headed in the direction of the commotion. Some of the girls were laughing and taking pictures, while others expressed concern about needing to call for help. When I got to the group, I saw Kia passed out just outside the bathroom.

16 comments:

  1. Oh man...what a disaster.
    I hope Kia will be ok. And Levi needs to be knocked on his butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( yeah not a good thing.

      Hopefully Kia will be okay. Levi does need his butt kicked for what he did.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, poor Kia and Matt. I feel so bad for them both, I can't believe that Levi did that and put them at such horrible odds like that!
    I wonder if Kia is pregnant from that night? She must feel so heartbroken right now after Matt calling it a mistake when she's been wanting him for years. And poor Matt trying to figure out how to get his best friend back and not lose it. I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah :( sad times for them. They've been good friends and now they have this thing between them. Levi, like some stupid college kids, didn't think past the idea of the prank. He didn't think about consequences and such. Only that it would be funny to set Matt up with Kia.

      With her getting sick, she very well could be pregnant. We'll find out next chapter. The moment she heard him say mistake he just crushed her. :( She has had a crush on him, but he kept her firmly in the friend zone. Now he feels like crap for her getting dragged into their prank war and because he knows her feelings are hurt right now.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. Oh man! This is bad, bad, bad on every side and at every angle. Levi was such an idiot to do this and not realize just how serious the situation was. He needs a reality check and a swift kick in the ass.

    I feel so awful for both Matt and Kia. Both were victims in this, and I can only imagine how horrible Kia felt when Matt called what happened a mistake. She's been wanting him for a long time and thought she'd gotten her chance only to be told otherwise the morning after. And Matt...he's just so overwhelmed right now that he just doesn't know what to do.

    I have a feeling Kia is pregnant. The not feeling well, being sick, and passing out...those are some telling signs. And I'm so mad at those girls for taking pictures. It just goes to show how immature even college kids can be. :(

    Looking forward to the next update! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there is not a single bright spot here at all. :( Levi has no idea the chain of events he set off with his prank. Matt does need to kick his ass for what he did. Levi involved an innocent third party. He knew Kia had feelings for Matt, so setting up something like that couldn't turn out well.

      Kia was crushed to hear Matt call it a mistake. Sure she thought he may have been a little drunk last night, but not that out of it. He quickly put her back in the friend zone and that hurt. She's in love with the guy and found out that he certainly didn't return those feelings. Poor Matt is a good guy who was always nice to Kia. He hates that she got pulled into this and her feelings are hurt because of it.

      She just might be. Matt was out of it, so I doubt he had the forethought to use any protection and since Kia doesn't date she wouldn't have been on anything, so it is very likely that night left them with more than either bargained for. :( Kia is aware of what people think of her and even in college, that 'mean' girl mentality doesn't always go away.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. I guess the practical jokes went way too far and someone was hurt. Levi was especially wrong for involving a third party into their pranks. If it was one against the other that was all in fun but Kia didn't deserve this. Matt didn't deserve that type of a prank either because Levi didn't know how the herb would affect Matt, he could have had something worse happen.

    I felt so sorry for the way that girl talked about Kia and I feel sorry for Kia in general. She seems like such a lost soul and thankfully she has Matt as a friend. What gets me about that girl, is while she is putting Kia down, she is flirting with Matt.

    Kia is sick and she passed out, sounds like a baby might be on the way. That prank may turn out to be life changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiking someone's drink and setting up a possible sexual situation is way past the norms for any practical joke. Levi over stepped in a major way and now there is so much fallout from it. Kia should not have been involved, especially since Levi let on that he knew Kia had a crush on Matt. That was inviting trouble. You are very right, so much could have gone wrong with that herb. He didn't know if Matt had any medical conditions or if he was taking medication for anything that could have reacted to it. His prank was bad for so many reasons. :(

      Yeah, the whole dorm talked about Kia sadly. She'd had an outburst or two so she's become the point of ridicule. Matt overlooked her oddities and gave her a much needed friend. Yeah...she put down Kia to a person that said he was a friend and then flirted with him. LOL

      It does sound like she could be pregnant. Maybe it's fairy babies, but damn she's had it rough with morning sickness too if that's the case. We'll find out next chapter if it's a simple stomach bug or something more.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Man, what a complicated mess this has become! damn it, Levi, you don't do that to people! Especially not frinds!! I don't know who I feel worse for, Kia for thinking that Matt only pretended to be her friend or Matt, who has somehow become the bad guy in this :/

    I won't assume that she's pregnant just yet. Given the way she's been living it's not surprising that she's been feeling sick, but who knows? I do wonder how she's deal with the news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Levi's prank went way too far, bordering on illegal since he did spike Matt's drink. Poor Matt has become the bad guy because Kia's feelings are hurt. She likes Matt, a lot, so to hear he didn't feel the same about their night together was painful. :(

      LOL she is a slob isn't she. That room nearly sent Matt into a fit since he's a tad OCD. Living in filth could be her reason for being ill. We'll find out next chapter.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Aw man! What a mess this is! Levi needs his butt kicked, yes. I hate how everyone treats Kia. People make fun of and attack what they don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he and Matt got into it but no punches thrown. Poor Kia does get picked on since she's displayed odd behavior a time or two while at school. People don't try to understand or even care, they just make fun of. Proves that college doesn't necessary make for maturity.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Omg she's pregnant? I just don't think she's in the condition to take care someone else. She can't even take care of herself... Matt has a thing for complicate girls, doesn't he? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll find out next chapter if she's pregnant or not. You are right that she doesn't seem to be able to care for herself, so the idea of her having a child is a bit scary. Those complicated girls seem to find their way into his life don't they? LOL Poor guy.

    thanks for reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. -______-
    This is the reason I hate pranks. They're funny until they're not fucking funny, but you never know when that time will come, so then it just screws up someone's life. *slaps Levi*
    I feel bad that Kia won't let Matt explain, but I understand why she doesn't believe that he didn't choose her to be his 'charity case.' If that's all she has ever known, then it's hard to see when something different comes along. I still think though, that she did notice Matt was different, so maybe she needs to find that part of her that thinks that, and give him a chance to explain himself. I think she is either suffering from morning sickness, or whatever it is that is causing her to appear crazy, not to mention her living conditions, it could be from that as well. People at this university seem to be really mean as well, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Levi got a lot of slaps for that prank. It was a dangerous one to play. Matt could have had a bad reaction to the drug which could have landed him in the hospital or worse...Levi really over stepped there. :(

      Kia, nope the moment he called last night a mistake she shut down. :( That hurt her considering she's had this crush on him for a while now. Considering how most people only made fun of her, she went on the defensive with Matt thinking he only kept her around out of pity. :( It's not fair to him, but when people are hurt, they lash out so that's what she did. She wanted/needed to protect herself from being hurt more. Hopefully she will give Matt a chance to explain himself.

      She could be suffering from morning sickness. With Matt being out of it, I doubt he had the forethought to use a condom and Kia being Kia, I doubt she was on any form of BC. Well, you know about mean girls at Uni ;) they never grow up.

      thanks for reading

      Delete