Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Gen. 5: Matthew Solo-Ch. 23


I smiled listening to Cam and Klutz ‘talk’ to each other. For every babbling noise Cameron would make, Klutz would howl in response. All these little moments my son was missing. Jonas and I were discussing finding him a caretaker since we didn’t know how long he’d be like this. I wanted to be the one here, taking care of him, but Jonas reminded me we had to also consider the impact a long term arrangement could have on the girls. That was on top of me having to take care of the farm back home. Spring was here which meant the beginning of harvest season.

As much as the family had all pitched in to help, it wasn’t their responsibility to put their lives on hold, even if it was a temporary thing rotating time here to care for Cameron and Matt. Wind had come for a visit and took the girls home for us. I was starting to feel like a bad mother. My girls needed me and their father, I should be the one taking care of them instead of passing them around to other family members, they needed their routine back. This whole situation had thrown them out of sync and their behavior of being more fussy and demanding than usual was proof of that. At the same time Matt needed help. He needed me. He couldn’t be left to care for himself in his current state. I wanted to do it all, but I couldn’t.

I dried my hands after finishing the dishes before walking over to Cameron and Klutz.


“You’re a good babysitter aren’t you boy?” I gave him a scratch behind his ear which made his leg scratch air in response. “Alright, time for you to go out before Cam and I head into town to meet Grandpa for lunch.”

Klutz kept a watchful eye as I gathered up Cameron. I took a seat on the back porch steps while he ran around the yard trying to find the perfect spot to do his business. Before leaving the house, I was sure to let Matt know I was leaving. I wasn’t expecting any response, but still I did it like always.


I took a seat at one of the picnic tables then sent Jonas a quick text to let him know we were here. He came strolling out a few minutes later with a bag from the deli, two drinks, and wearing a large smile.

“Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes,” he commented as he kissed the top of my head.

“You just saw me a few hours ago.”

“A few hours too many,” he replied giving me a wink. “How’s my favorite grandson?” Jonas took a peek at Cameron’s sleeping form then took a seat across from me.

I started unpacking the lunch he’d gotten us. “How are things here at the store?”

“Good. Matt has a good staff in place. They are all concerned about him and look forward to his return.”


“That’s good to hear.”

We settled into a comfortable silence as we ate our food, watching the town go about its business around us.

“Shannon called me back today.”

“What did she say? Can she do it?” I still wasn’t ready to leave Matt in the care of someone else, but I knew it had to be done. Shannon already knew them and the situation so she was my first choice.


“Unfortunately she’s taken another job already so she’s unavailable. She did give me a list of other professionals within the agency she would recommend.”

The news wasn’t what I wanted to hear, but it made sense. It’d been just over a month since everything happened, of course Shannon would have been given another assignment.   
Jonas placed his hand on mine. “Shannon spoke highly of each of the women she named. We’ll find a suitable nurse.” He kissed the back of my hand, giving me that smile that still gave me butterflies.

“I’m sure we…” my words tapered off when my eyes landed on a familiar figure.

 “Grace?”

“It’s her, the woman from the park last week.”

“What?” Jonas turned to get a better look. “Are you sure it’s her?”


I nodded. “Yes, or I think. She’s wearing the same clothes.”

We watched as she watched the customers that were perusing the outside produce stand. There weren’t many, but still she waited until all had walked off before she went over. She looked at the sign, holding on to her stomach as she did so.


Digging into her pocket she appeared to count out change before checking the pricing again. With a longful look, she turned to walk away.

“Jonas…”

“I’m on it.”

Jonas


I cast a quick glance over my shoulder back at Grace. She’d had this poor woman on her mind since our trip to the park. She didn’t need anything else to worry about, yet something about the stranger I was approaching had struck a chord with my wife. Seeing what she’d described to me in person, I could understand why the woman’s appearance bothered Grace. She had a big heart and hated to see anyone suffer. Grace had come a long way since I’d first met her, but not far enough to approach a stranger on her own, that’s what I was for.

“Excuse me.”

The woman jumped hearing my voice behind her, making a quick turn to face me. “I didn’t take nothing,” she blurted out with a heavy southern accent.


I frowned, not expecting that to be the first words out of her mouth. “Yes…I know. We saw you walk away.”

“W…we?” She looked around trying to find another person. She looked terrified, reminding me a lot of Grace the first time we met.

I turned to point towards where Grace sat. “Yes, my wife and I. Okay, full disclosure, my wife thinks you’re a woman she saw watching us at the park last week.”

Her eyes widened. “I…I wasn’t…I mean…I was just tired and like to sleep there sometimes…” She quickly covered her mouth with her hands. “I…I need to go. I don’t want no trouble.”

That explained her earlier statement. Towns like these liked to keep the clean cut, small town vibe and some residents didn’t take kindly to vagrants.


I reached for her arm as she turned to run off, she recoiled back staying just out of reach. I put my hands up showing her I meant no harm. “Wait. The only one that will be in trouble will be me if I can’t get you something to eat. You look like you’re hungry, so we’d like to buy you lunch.”

This time it was her that frowned. I could tell she was still thinking of leaving, but the loud grumble from her stomach had her nodding her head in agreement. I thought it was crazy to be inviting a homeless stranger to eat with us, even crazier that it was my shy, introvert of a wife that sent me to do just that. If it made Grace happy, and feeding this woman would be one worry off her mind, I was more than happy to give the woman all the food she wanted.

“Grace this is…” I turned to the woman realizing I never got her name.


“Lydia,” she replied, still eyeing us both wearily.

“Nice to meet you Lydia, I’m Jonas and that sleeping bundle in the stroller is my grandson Cameron.”

A surprised look showed on her face as she glanced at Grace, then back at me.

“Being a fairy is like a natural fountain of youth.”

She bit down on her lip, her face filling with color. “Sorry…I’ve not been ’round many…”

“No apology needed. Thank you for joining us,” Grace stated before smiling her approval up at me.

“Um…you’re welcome.”

“What would you like to eat?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I’m fine with whatever.” She looked over at Grace’s half eaten roast beef sandwich.

“Alright, I’ll be right back.” I returned a few minutes later with the same thing I’d gotten for Grace.

“Thank ya,” she said quietly, taking the bag from me.


I could tell she was debating on whether she should stay or to take her food and flee. I took a seat beside Grace, smiling as Lydia decided to stay put to eat her food. She took a few bites, still watching us as she did. We returned to finishing our food, eating in silence until Cameron started to wake. Lydia’s eyes went to the stroller, watching Grace as she unbuckled Cameron, preparing to feed him.

“Do you have children?” I asked.

She shook her head, dropping her gaze back down at her sandwich. “I wanted to thank ya both for…” her words cut off when she laid eyes on Cameron as Grace sat back down. “He…he’s okay.”

Grace and I both looked at each other then back at Lydia who was smiling for the first time as she eyed Cameron.

I spoke my next words with caution. “Why would you think he wasn’t?”


That look of fear returned to her face. “I…um…I…don’t wanna get in trouble…thank ya for lunch” She quickly started stuffing the uneaten food back into the bag.

“You found him,” Grace said, reaching forward placing her hand over Lydia’s.

I looked at my wife and then back at the woman in front of me. The police never located the good Samaritan that took Cameron to the hospital that day and by some strange twist of fate she was now sitting across from us.

Lydia gave a shy glance at me, then back at Grace before nodding her head. “I…I didn’t do it right away cuz I thought whoever he belonged to would be back, so…so I sat with him for a while before taking him to the hospital. Please don’t send me to jail. I thought I did the right thing.” Tears were welling up in her eyes.


Grace handed Cameron to me then got up and did something I’d never seen her do. She walked over and hugged the stranger. Grace didn’t touch people she didn’t know, but I watched in amazement as she wrapped her arms around Lydia.

“Thank you. If not for what you did, a very trying time in our family could have been much worse.”

“Um…I’m happy to know he’s alright and back with his family. Thanks again for lunch. You two have been the nicest folks I’ve met recently.”

She picked up her bag, clutching tightly, almost if she feared we’d take it from her.


Grace turned with a smile on her face. “Jonas, she could be the answer to our problem with Matt.”

I frowned shaking my head. “Grace, no.” I was all for supporting my wife in this strange endeavor of trying to help Lydia. I had no problem giving her food, or hell even a job at the store if that would help, but leaving her with Matt I wasn’t on board with that. I was grateful she found Cameron and returned him safely, and I didn’t see any bad in her aura, but still she was a stranger. A homeless stranger.

“Why not?”

I glanced at Lydia who looked very confused by our exchange, then back to Grace. “Because she’s a stranger.”

“With us not hiring Shannon, whoever we hire will be a stranger.”

Why was she pushing this? This wasn’t like Grace. I got the feeling that the stress of everything was really taking its toll on her. The crying at night, the constant worry, it was all becoming too much for her.

“Um…I…I don’t know what is going on, but I think I should go.”


I got up, buckling Cameron back into his stroller before walking over to both women. “Grace, honey, we will find a caregiver for Matt. One that’s been vetted, you know through background checks and such. Shannon gave us…”

“Jonas please.” This time it was Grace who had tears pooling in her eyes. “We can talk to Caleb…”

“I don’t think…this seems like a personal thing so I’m gonna give you some privacy.”

I looked over at Lydia who appeared extremely uncomfortable then back at my upset wife. This whole thing seemed to be very important to her for whatever reason.

With a sigh of defeat I turned my attention back to Lydia. “You’re homeless right? Because you mentioned sleeping at the park.”


Her face got red with embarrassment as she nodded her answer.

I turned to grab one of the bags. Tearing a piece off, I pulled one of the pens from my pocket and scribbled my name and Matt’s address on it. “Here, come see me tomorrow. We may have a job for you.”

Lydia’s eyes shifted between Grace and me before she hesitantly took the paper from my hand. “Um…okay. Thanks again for the sandwich.” This time she turned to make her hasty retreat before we could stop her.

Grace turned, wrapping her arms around me. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” I still thought this was a bad idea, but seeing she was already so upset, I held my tongue. I could only hope that I could talk some sense into her later this evening so she’d understand why this was a bad idea.

6 comments:

  1. Grace certainly does have a hard decision to make. As much as she wants to be there for Matt and Cam, she has to think of her triplets. Its been a month and the whole family including extended family like Wind has come forward to help out but as she pointed out its impossible to ask everyone to put their lives on hold while Matt is still out of commission. Like it or not they have no other choice but to find someone to take care of the baby long term. It really is too bad that they couldn't get Shannon back as she was already familar with the baby and she seemed like a very good nanny.

    It was really nice of Grace and Jonas to buy her food as they were able to see that she was hungry. That was before they knew that she was the one who was Cam's guardian angel when he was abandoned. Surprisingly its Jonas who has been more cautious about Lydia than Grace but Grace is ready to hire her to help with Cam and Matt. One thing for sure is that I'm sure they are going to take care of Lydia for her help with Cam that day because God only knows what could have happened to him if she didn't step in.
    I really can't blame Jonas for being cautious but Grace must be using her women's intuition on this one as Grace doesn't take to people that easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace is struggling right now. She wants to be there for all of her children, but it's just not possible. Maybe if they could get Matt out of his room and at least back to Barnacle Bay, she could do it all, but he's not budging. Everyone has been chipping in, making the rounds to help out, but since no one knows how long he could be like that, they need to find a more long term answer in the form of a caretaker. Shannon was more a nurse than a nanny. She was there to watch Kia more than take care of Cameron. LOL

      They are a good family and seeing a person in need meant they wanted to help. Jonas is very much on alert right now. He knows Grace isn't handling the stress well and therefore isn't always thinking rationally. He has to take care of his family, but it's a delicate balance because he doesn't want to upset Grace with his second guessing either. :( Jonas is more than willing to hire her at the store and heck maybe even help her find a place to stay, but leaving her in charge of his son and possibly his grandson, well he has major reservations about that.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Lydia found Cameron that day. Holy crap, I love that twist. LOL. I understand Jonas, I'm untrusting of strangers as well, haha, and I'm hmm... Grace seems desperate, which I also understand. She can't possibly take care of that many people all at once and still feel like a person herself. LOL. Stretching herself too thin, of course, she would see Lydia as "the perfect solution," since she already has some interaction with Cameron, and appears to have a good heart since she didn't do anything to him that day. Curious to see what unfolds with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep she sure did. She's that Good Samaritan that was never found. She ran since she is homeless, she didn't want to be accused of doing anything and get in trouble.

      Grace is feeling the pressure, a lot of self inflicted pressure. She is worried about Matthew and wants Cameron taken care of. Plus she needs to make sure the triplets aren't too affected by it all. There's a lot on her plate and she's not acting like herself.

      While Jonas is grateful for what Lydia did, that doesn't mean he's ready to welcome her into the house the same way. He's being extra cautious right now and with good reason.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. I actually got tears in my eyes when Grace stood up and hugged her. I think Jonas is right in being nervous about hiring Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was way out of character for Grace. This whole thing with Matt has her upset and she's needing to mother more than usual. Jonas is right to be skeptical.

      thanks for reading

      Delete