Friday, May 22, 2015

Gen. 5.13-Matthew


I sat holding Kia’s hand as Dr. Hughes, her neurologist, and Dr. Agapov, the geneticist talked about Kia’s possible treatment plan. With her being pregnant a lot of the testing needed to wait, even with the bloodwork since her body chemistry had changed because of the pregnancy. There was a lot of technical talk and I was wishing now I’d taken Gi-Gi up on her offer to come with us. She’d be able to break everything down to understandable words. My ears perked up when I heard the word surgery.

“Wait, are you saying you need a sample of her brain? I thought you were going to just do scans.”

“Well,” Dr. Agapov started, “we would take the scans, but to really see what deformities there might be…”

“What!” Kia exclaimed. “Deformities! I…I don’t…Matt tell him I don’t have deformities!”


One…two…three…four… “I’m sure he didn’t mean it like that, Kia.” I said hoping to calm her down. “You didn’t mean it like that right?” I asked looking over at the doctor.

“My apologies, maybe abnormalities would be a better word,” Dr. Agapov corrected. “The brain is a complex organ and even with all our advancements, there are still things yet to be discovered. Hart’s Syndrome isn’t widely known and effects less than 1% of the total population.”

Dr. Hughes went on from there explaining why he thought taking a sample from Kia would be the most aggressive way to start to study and possibly understand this disease. All I heard was they wanted to drill a hole in her head. It was insane, and scary.

“No!” Kia said standing up.


“Mrs. Solo.”

“No!” she said again, cutting off Dr. Hughes. “My brain, my choice and I will not have anyone just drilling into my head on some sort of mystery expedition. Before you said I might be able to try some of the drug options used for Alzheimer’s patients. Why can’t we just do that?”

“Mrs. Solo, we can try that and we will, but considering what you have isn’t the same thing there is no guarantee they would even be effective. Surgery, getting a sample, really is our best option in starting to understand this,” Dr. Agapov explained.

“Matt,” she said looking over at me. One…two…three…I could tell she was looking for me to support her decision but I was confused. On one hand I understand her fear, so much could go wrong, but on the other if this was really the best path to maybe find a cure, or at the very least a treatment we needed to take it.


“Kia, we don’t have to decide now. Nothing can be done until after the baby is born anyway. We have at least 5 months to weigh all your options.”

“So you want me to do this?”

“I want…I want you to be well.” It was true; I wanted and needed her to be better.

We’d been settled in Riverview for about a month now. I was glad we stayed the extra time in Barnacle Bay while the decorator Aunt Hope hired as a wedding present did the work for us. There needed to be some construction to the house to remodel it in the way Kia wanted, which turned out to be a complete gut job of the main floor. I didn’t want to live in a messy construction zone, so we stayed put until it was done.



Not all of the rooms were finished yet, we still had the nursery and what will eventually become the kid's bedroom to do, but Kia wanted to wait until after we knew what we were having. For now, Kia was very pleased with the results and I was happy that she was happy.

Since moving, she’d had a few episodes, but none too bad. Mostly she’d wake up and be confused on where she was, thinking she was still in school. The worst one so far was when she’d nearly been arrested because she kept trying to get into a car that wasn’t hers. That was a stressful day getting the call from the police. The cop was nice enough when I told her she had pregnancy brain and got confused easily these days, the guy whose car she was trying to steal, however, was a real ass. He tried to have her arrested for assault because she hit him when he grabbed her arm. Luckily the cops were more understanding than he was and she was left off with a warning. I wanted to punch him myself when he told me I needed to keep my psycho on a leash.


We left Dr. Hughes’ office and had about two hours before her next appointment. This one was the one she was most anxious about. For the last week all she talked about was feeling doomed and destined to have a girl and pass this thing down to her. We’d gotten into an argument or two over the fact she kept saying she wished I hadn’t talked her into keeping the baby and I was being selfish. I remember going out for a two hour run that day things got so bad. I couldn’t think, I’d felt the walls closing in on me so I left in the middle of the argument. I’d just taken off, fleeing the house as quickly as possible.

When I got back, she’d seemingly forgotten what she’d said to me or that we’d even had a fight. I couldn’t forget though and that night, and a few nights after, I stayed awake tossing and turning wondering if she was right. Had I let my history with Claudia cloud my thinking? Had I played down the seriousness of everything when she tried to tell me? Between the doctor’s visits and her episodes and the stress of working, it was all becoming too much. Maybe I had been selfish in my need to not lose another child. I’d done what I’d thought was best at the time, but now...maybe she was right.

“It’s a nice day, you think we can pick up some sandwiches and eat in the park?” Kia asked bringing my thoughts back to the present.


 Considering Riverview Women’s Center was just the next block over, I would have rathered just grabbed something closer, but I guessed she wanted away from the area or something. “Sure, we’ll pick up something from the deli at the store since the park is right across the street.”

I parked in the back lot and ran in to get our sandwiches and I did a good job of not getting pulled into work. After we got settled, we ate in silence for a little. I thought about bringing up what Dr. Hughes and Dr. Agapov suggested, but thought better of it. Last thing I wanted was for her to get upset while we were in public.


“Do you think we’ll ever be like that?” Kia asked. I followed her line of sight to see a family not too far from us. The dad was tossing the little girl in the air while the mom waved each time the little girl took flight, they were smiling and laughing. They appeared to be having a good time.

“What do you mean?”

“Happy, like them,” she replied turning back to look at me.

“I didn’t think we were unhappy. I know things have been out of sorts, but my feelings about you and my commitment to you and our child haven’t changed.”

“I know Matt. You’re a good guy and you’ve always been nice to me. But…”


“Why is there a but after that?” I asked in hopes of this conversation not leading down a stressful path.

Kia nibbled on her sandwich and I wondered if this was going to be another one of her guessing games. Some days we’d manage to have a straight talk instead of her trying to express her feelings in some roundabout way. I appreciated those days. In return, I’d been trying to do better with understanding she was hormonal, and stressed. All that coupled with her other condition made things harder at times, but I tried to work through as best I could. I’d not been perfect, but I was trying.

“I love you Matt,” she blurted out. “I’ve been in love with you for a long time, but even back in college I could tell you never felt the same way so I didn’t say anything. If not for that prank, you wouldn’t be saddled with me and I’d be out there trying to make it on my own.”

“Kia, don’t say it like that.”


“Why not? It’s true. I know you don’t feel the same way about me Matt…”

“Kia…”

“Let me finish because I could very well forget this conversation in the next five minutes.”

She covered her mouth as she started giggling at herself. She’d never made fun of her own condition before, but now she’d erupted into a fit of giggles that was getting a few glances from others in the park. Luckily laughs fit into this setting so it’s not like she was causing a scene. She hid her face when the laughs turned to tears. Moving over, I pulled her into my lap and held her until she calmed down.


Not knowing what else to say, I told her the two words that seemed to be at the forefront of my vocabulary these days. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be,” she whispered between sniffles. “It took me six and a half years to get through college. I was thinking of calling it quits after my aunt died and then I met you. You were nice to me and with your sparkly wings, I thought maybe my aunt had sent you to watch over me. My own guardian angel, or maybe fairy godfather is more fitting,” she said, laughing a little. “It sounds crazy, I know, but that’s how I felt, it’s how I saw you. I...I just wanted you to know. I’ve been wanting to tell you, but would get scared, but I needed to tell you while I still could.”

I knew in college Kia had hoped we’d be more than friends, that she had a crush on me, and I hadn’t expected those feelings to have gone away, but hearing it out loud made it real. She was in love with me and while that shouldn’t have been a surprising revelation, it kinda was, or maybe it was more the fact she stayed in college because of our chance meeting. That was a heavy burden to know she thought of me as some sort of life line, a guardian angel. What was I supposed to do with that level of responsibility? I felt like I should say something, but what? Kia was in love with me, she’d said it, and I couldn’t say it back. She’d just poured her heart out and I said nothing.

“We should get going,” Kia said, removing herself from my lap.


I cleaned up our mess then took her hand as we headed back to over the store to get the car. The short 15 minute drive was quiet as Kia nervously chewed on her thumb nail while keeping her attention focused out the window. I thought about her comments in the park, her thinking she was not going to get better. I wanted to tell her not to be so negative, that I was sure the doctors could fix her, but after today’s visit I was no longer so sure. Most of their answers sounded more like fancy ‘maybes’ and ‘I don’t noes’ instead of definite answers. According to Gi-Gi, both of those guys were supposed to be top of their fields, so I had to try and hang on to hope they could do something for her.

When we arrived at the clinic, Kia looked over at me and it was easy to see the worry on her face.

“Everything is going to be fine,” I said, hoping to ease her fears.

“It has to be a boy, Matt.”

“Well…if it’s not, I’ll take all the blame for getting it wrong,” I joked and it brought a slight smile to her face.


Exiting the car, I walked around to help her out then held her hand as we walked in. Kia’s leg bounced continuously as we waited to be called back. There weren’t many people in the waiting room, mostly women like normal. I’d come to every appointment with Kia and I was often the only guy which made me feel a little uneasy at first, but I was getting used to it now. The soft cries of a newborn caught my attention. The lady quickly put a blanket on her shoulder before the baby’s head disappeared beneath it. I turned my head quickly, feeling my face get hot when I realized what she was doing.

Kia started laughing. “You’re cute when you blush.”

The nurse called out our name before I could respond. The moment of levity was gone as Kia latched onto my arm as we walked back to the dimly lit room. A few minutes later, Dr. Williams came in and greeted us.

After getting the machine all set, a few seconds of searching and the sound of the baby’s heartbeat filled the room. We’d heard it before on her other check-ups, but I was still amazed at the fast whooshing sound.



Shortly after that, an oddly shaped blob filled the screen. Dr. Williams pointed out things and as she did, the blob took shape and I could see the baby. My baby. Our baby. I looked down at Kia and she was already crying.


It was an amazing sight to see, we’d created that. Suddenly nothing else seemed as important as protecting that little being on the screen. Seeing our baby, I knew my decision wasn’t wrong. No matter what happened, this baby was not a mistake regardless of the circumstances surrounding conception. I was going to be a father. We were going to be parents, and we would face whatever problems together. I wasn’t in love with Kia, but that didn’t mean I didn’t love her. I did and I was going to stand by my commitment to her and our child.

“Do you want to know the sex?” Dr. Williams asked.

“Yes!” Kia answered.

After some gentle pushing on Kia’s stomach, Dr. Williams was able to get the shot she needed. We were having a boy.


“Hello Cameron,” Kia whispered.

“Cameron?”

She looked over at me biting her lip. “Yeah, I…I know we haven’t really discussed names, but I was hoping…it’s my mother’s maiden name.”

“Cameron,” I said to myself, testing out the sound. I leaned down and gave her a kiss on the forehead. “I think it’s the perfect name.”

**A/N**

BIG THANKS to DJ for her photo editing skills!!! You are a life saver!

The Riverview Women’s Center is actually the Sunset Valley Medical Clinic by SIMplicity. If you download some rooms will be different. Dr. Hughes’ office as well as the ultrasound room won't be there since I redid those to fit my needs. Yes I was lazy and used 1 lot for both locations. :)

Matt and Kia’s house is an EA house called Ever, you’ll find it in your bin. I gutted the main floor and redecorated it to suit their needs.  More photos of the remodel.

22 comments:

  1. I'm glad she finally told her how she really felt about him, it had to be said even if he didn't say it back. Despite everything they make a very cute couple :)

    I love the name Cameron, it'll suit him perfectly. What a relief that it's a boy, though there'll still be the fear of him having a daughter and her inheriting it, won't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's been scared to tell him out of fear of rejection. However she feels like she's getting worse and wanted him to know regardless. It wasn't missed on her that he didn't say it back. :(

      Aww glad you like the name. Yes, there is still a fear of it being passed down to later gens. I wrote it being an only girl thing and that it can skip generations for the story. Her mom had it, but her aunt was fine. Before that, no one had been affected in a while, I only needed Kia and her mom to have it back to back for the story. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. Awesome update! I loved reading it and definitely missed Matt. :)

    Oh man! It choked me up when Kia told Matt he was her guardian angel or fairy godfather. She's so in love with him but sadly, he doesn't feel the same. it made my heart shatter a little. They had some good times, but I have a nasty hunch that things are going to get a lot worse, especially as the pregnancy advances. :(

    It was so sweet seeing them in the ultrasound room together. :) I love the name Cameron.

    I loved how you got the ultrasound picture on the computer. And speaking of the computer, I SAW THAT APPLE COMPUTER THERE. Hahahaha. :) That's one of my favorite pieces of CC, and I use that quite frequently.

    Gosh, that is scary, them wanting to get a sample of her brain. Brain surgery is dangerous anyway, but dang, being as young as they are, they've got to be out of their minds with worry.

    Looking forward to seeing the next update. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. Sorry it's been a while, it a bit of a road block.

      I choked up a bit writing that part. :( She is so in love with him and the timing of when he came into her life, she sorta clung to him. She's fully aware that he doesn't feel the same way, and a lot of that is on Matt. He he's still treating her like he did in college and that hurts. He's not unkind, but he's also not affectionate in that romantic way. We'll hear more on that later.

      I wanted the ultrasound to be special and I was so happy to find those poses! I'm glad the game gave me a boy but we would have dealt with if it had been a girl. Kia wanted the name to have meaning and to honor her mom.

      DJ helped with those shots. I googled ultrasound pictures to find what I needed. I don't use Apple, but I'm not an Apple hater. LOL I had to make an 'ultrasound' machine and that was the computer I had in game with the largest monitor. I don't think I've ever used it in game though LOL most of my sims have laptops or now the tablet since I got it working.

      Yep that is a scary thing, them wanting to drill into her head. They want a fresh sample to do some studying, but brain surgery is nothing to be taken lightly. It's a lot to deal with and we both know Matt doesn't handle stress well.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. That was really sweet but at the same time really sad. I feel so bad for matt having that pressure put on him but I'm proud of Kia for finally speaking up and telling him.
    I dont blame him for how he feels about the doctor. A bunch of maybes and guesses is not comforting at all.
    Okay. So you're pictures were awesome and may be convincing me to start using cc more. I loved the ultrasound picture. That was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was a slightly emotional chapter. Kia wasn't trying to put pressure on Matt, she can just feel she's getting worse and wanted to tell Matt how she felt while she still could. She's been scared of the rejection from him, but she wanted to say it regardless.

      Matt is scared about her having surgery, especially since the doctors aren't 100% sure if it'll even make a difference.

      Aww thanks. I told you in the PMs I love my CC. I wanted that ultrasound to be a special moment for them. I'm glad you liked the picture of seeing baby Cameron on screen. My friend DJ helped with those shots.

      Thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. I don't blame both of them for being scared talking to those doctors. That was horrible the way they made it sound, taking a sample of her brain to look for abnormalities. I know they do not know much about that illness but those two doctors sounded very insensitive to me. Well I did like the way Matt tried to calm her down and how he was comforting her. The scenes in the park were very sweet and Matt may not be in love with her but he truly cares for her deeply.

    The ultrasound picture were done perfectly from the images of the baby to the tears in her eyes! Beautiful job on those pictures and it was a touching scene. The baby became more of a reality to them and less of the result of a prank. No matter the circumstances on how the baby was conceived that is their child and you can tell they are both already love that child. I love the name Cameron and I am as anxious to see him as they are.

    I loved the job you did on the house its beautiful and I really loved this update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the doctors both need a lesson in a better bedside manner. They are good at what they do, but not so good with people. In my head they are very tunnel visioned with the idea of being able to study a person with this little known about illness so much that they forget she's a person. :( You know the overly eager doctor types LOL all about that medical breakthrough.

      Matt is very true to his word and is going to stand by her. He's not in love with Kia, but he has been her friend for a long time so he acts on that. That scene in the park, that wasn't planned how it turned out, but Kia wanted to say her piece so I let her. :)

      Aww thanks. I wanted that part to be special. It was a major moment for them both as you said seeing their baby made everything more real in that moment. With the stress of it all, Matt was having his doubts, but after seeing his son, he knows without a doubt he made the right choice. He's in this for the long haul even if he's not in love with the woman he's married to. Glad you like the name. Hopefully we'll meet him soon. Not sure if it'll be the next chapter or not, won't know til I start writing. LOL

      Thanks! Making over those EA houses really shows their potential. Glad you liked the update.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. Taking out a sample of her brain? That's rather scary. I guess they need to see up close instead of what a normal MRI or CAT scan can do. Cameron is a beautiful name for a baby boy. Congrats to them both. Atleast they both love that little life they created together regardless of the circumstances of conception. That was rather touching when Kia told Matt she thought of him as her fairy god father or guardian angel. When Kia had her freaks out and the one about getting into the wrong car reminds me of that planet of the apes in scene in which the scientist father with Alzheimer got into the neighbors car. I hope once baby Cameron is born she can get on a treatment option that will help her out dramatically. The house is beautiful. I really loved this chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is very scary but they want/need a sample for future study. The scans can show what areas might be affected, but the docs need to look at thing under the microscope and all that other technical stuff.

      Glad you like the name, I was searching for something that could double as a first and last name and Cameron was my final choice.

      Yep, they are both in love with their little boy regardless of how he came to be. Kia has understandable fears, but Matt is determined to stick by her side. Kia has been in love with Matt for a long time but never said it out loud. Now that she thinks things may be getting worse, she wanted to tell him just to get it off her chest. Matt knew she was in love with him, or at the very least strongly suspected it, but hearing it out loud was different. Not only that, she really looked at him like he was meant to be in her life with that fairy godfather line and that was a heavy thing to hear.

      Oh yeah, I forgot about that scene from Planet of the Apes. She gets confused and forgets things so I'm guessing that guy had a car that was similar to what Matt bought her. Hopefully once she does have Cameron, she'll get treatment and maybe find a way to manage her symptoms.

      Aww thanks, I'm having a good time making over the EA houses. So happy to know you love the chapter.

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Super cute house. I think I saw some of those pictures before, You posted it on the forum a while back rihgt?

    Taking a brain sample? I would be terrified too. But I see Matts perspective. the chance of a cure!

    I'm glad they're having a boy? haha I know females are easier with this challenge but If her disorder is passed to girls, I guess it's really good that its a boy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I first did it months and months back (LOL) I posted it on the thread. :)

      Yeah brain surgery is a very scary thing, but the benefits could out weigh the risks. Harts Syndrome needs to be studied.

      Yeah, sadly her illness only affects the females but it can skip generations (I needed an out for it to not be a constant thing). I haven't found one easier than the other but it works out for Kia's state of mind that the game did give them a boy. :)

      thanks for reading.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how I'd react if someone wanted a sample of my brain... I don't think I'd be vrey happy either. I think she should analyse all other possibilities first. Maybe there is another solution the doctors didn't see yet.
    Beautiful what she said at the park. I find it great you don't show her only as the unsane woman, but show her other sides as well. She is a beautiful woman but with a few problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd be happy about that either. It's a scary thing to have basically exploratory surgery on your brain! She does need to consider all her options, and that's what Matt tried to explain. They can't do anything until after she has the baby, so they have time to talk about it.

      Aww, thanks. Kia has moments of clarity and isn't always so scatterbrained. I try to show the many layers of my characters so I'm glad it's working. :) She knows how she feels and wanted Matt to know as well. She's been through a lot, but she's managed to survive even with her illness. Matt even acknowledges that and tries to encourage her to be more positive.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. So I had planed on only reading a few chapters last night and ended up reading the whole thing!
    I am hooked, what a great story. You had me laughing crying and getting so pissed lol.
    I have to say that Davis has been my favorite so far, specially as a father. What a hoot he is lol
    You are a great story teller and I cant wait for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, well thanks for stopping by my blog. :) The characters have been fun to write and I'm happy to know you are enjoying them.

      I love Davis, he's a lot of fun to write with his over the top protective ways.

      Thank you so much for the compliment! I have fun with it and it makes me happy to know others enjoy it.

      thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. Lol at you "admitting" you're "lazy" and did shots for two scenes at the same location. On my laptop, I don't use the actual locations since the "real" stuff is on my desktop. I make sets. Nobody knows! :)

    Glad it's a boy for Kia's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no point in lying. The lot was big enough and didn't take much work to redo the rooms I needed. I make sets as I need, but I found this lot and went with it. Much easier to redo a few parts instead of building from scratch. LOL

      she's glad it's a boy as well

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  10. So,.I'm finally caught up! I'm so glad that Kia admitted her feelings for Matt,maybe one day he will return those feelings ..I think they make a cute couple I'm so relieved the baby is a.boy, that is one less thing to stress About. I can't wait to see what happens next!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for being caught up! Kia needed to get her feelings off her chest since she'd held them in for so long. She knows Matt doesn't return them, but she still wanted him to know. They are cute together, and Matt is stepping up more into the 'husband' role on some things and giving her the support she needs. Kia is very relived they are having a boy. Hopefully I can get the next chapter done soon.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  11. YES, Matt, your decision was not the smartest. *rolls eyes* Too little too late though. LOL. He makes it sound like when he gets someone pregnant, that it's the only chance he'll ever get to be a father, so he has to save the kid, rather than thinking of it as, when he meets the right woman, then he can have babies with her, and be like that happy family at the park.

    Forgive me, I know that moment at the end when Matt realizes that his decision was correct because nothing else mattered except his child, was supposed to be a sweet moment, but I can't feel that for him. I do of course, commend him for trying so hard to make the most of a shitty situation, even if he got himself into said shitty situation. LOL. Kia really does seem like a wonderful person, she just got hit with so much bullshit in her life, so I think all things considered, Matt can make his life be something he's happy with. I think I just still feel sad for him that he has gotten to do nothing that he wants so far, except maybe go to college. Even with his dad's business, he assumed he would just go into the family business without asking himself what he actually wanted to do if he didn't do that. Maybe in a lot of ways I still see Matt as that timid kid who is a lot of a people pleaser. He's a good person, no arguments there, but he's not done a single thing for himself his entire life, and that makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not really his thinking. The thing with Claudia messed him up plus he remembers how hard Grace took it. The fact that she had wanted kids and had a hard time having them. The pain on her face and hearing his mother cry for the first time ever really stayed with him. Could he have never told his parents about the deal with Kia has she terminated? Sure. But that wouldn't have stopped him feeling like crap knowing it happened a second time. :( He had plans I'm sure of eventually getting married and finding that right woman, but things didn't happen that way for him.

      That moment was sweet for him because earlier he was doubting himself and his choices. Life would have been easier if he'd just let her terminate and he wouldn't be dealing with the added stress of her illness, but seeing his child changed his mind. Life isn't always easy and it doesn't always go according to plan. Marrying Kia was not in his plan, hell he never had plans to have sex with her, but it happened. Is it really the child's fault when looking at how he was conceived? No, it's not. And that was really what that moment with him was supposed to show. Yes the situation isn't ideal. Yes he's in a marriage out of panic instead of love, but one thing is true, he loves his child and would never look at him as a mistake. Kia has had a hard life and it would have been worse has this not happened. She knows it's a sorta love-less marriage in the normal meaning, but she also knows that Matt is a good guy and is trying his best to take care of her and deal with what's going on. It's hard for both of them, and she feels guilty for having 'trapped' Matt in this situation. There isn't love but there is friendship and mutual respect so it's not like they are strangers that had a one night stand.

      As for the business that was all on Matt. That's why Jonas talked to him about it, letting him know he wasn't required to be in the business. Jonas wouldn't force him to do that if Matt had other desires in life, so going into the business was all Matt's choice. Matt worked at the store as a teen because Jonas wanted him to have some responsibility, not because he was grooming him to take over the business. He also dated and partied while in college, I just didn't focus on it a lot, but he did. :)

      thanks for reading

      Delete