Friday, April 10, 2015

Gen. 5.11-Matthew



 
When I woke up to let Klutz out in the morning, Kia was sitting at the table eating. I didn’t see any pots or pans out, and the house didn’t smell like she’d cooked anything, yet there was a plate of pancakes on the counter.

“Good morning,” I said grabbing a plate and taking a seat.

“Morning,” she replied barely looking up at me.

We sat in silence with the only the sounds of our utensils hitting our plates, and Klutz’s barking outside filling the silence between us.


“These are good,” I said trying to make small talk.

“Your dad brought them over,” she replied, getting up to carry her empty plate to the sink.

Whatever pissed her off last night seemed to still be upsetting her this morning. After feeding Klutz, I jumped in the shower trying to figure out what could be wrong. Kia was still closed up in the room when I came out.

“Kia?” I called knocking softly. No answer. Turning the knob, I slowly opened the door and heard her getting sick. I hated that sound. “Ar…are you okay?”

The toilet was flushed, then I heard the water in sink be cut on. A few moments later Kia emerged looking very pale.

“Is…is there anything I can get you? Ginger ale maybe? Or I can see if Mom has that stuff GG Wind sent her to drink. It seemed to help her be less sick.”


Kia crossed her arms and frowned at me. “I’m surprised you care!”

“What?!” I exclaimed, surprised by her accusation. “Of course I care. Why would you think I wouldn’t?”

She shrugged. “Just forget about it.”


I looked at her dumbfounded. Was there some sort of universal dictionary that decoded female moods? I didn’t recall Mom ever talking in riddles with Dad. They had clear understandable conversations. On the rare occasion she was upset, she would say why. No guessing, no round about clues, just said it. Yet here I stood, clearly feeling like I was missing out on something. I knew I’d done something, but the what was a mystery.

One…two…three…four…I slowly counted to ten in my head and took a deep breath. She wanted to forget it, I’d forget it. “So…um…I was going to head to Riverview. I need to check on the store and get to working. But…um I was thinking while I was at work, you could house hunt to find us a place.”

“So, something else we’re not doing together?” she snapped.


“I give up!” I yelled throwing my hands in the air. “A minute ago you wanted to forget it, whatever it is and now you’re still pissy. I don’t speak girl, Kia! So please, for the sake of my sanity tell me what I did!”

She opened her mouth to say something, but dropped down onto the bed and started crying. Shit! I sat down on the bed beside her and as soon as I did, Kia turned and buried her face in my shoulder. I started counting again.


“I’m sorry for yelling,” I said, putting my arm around her. “I shouldn’t have done that, especially with you going through…changes. I’ll try to remember to be more understanding.”

Kia didn’t respond, but at least her crying was slowing down to just sniffles. There was a knock at the front door and I found myself relived for the interruption. She pulled away and wiped her face with the back of her hand and I went to answer.

“Good morning son,” Mom said. “I came to see…” her words faded out as Kia walked out of the room. “Everything okay? Kia, dear, are you feeling alright?” Mom’s face and voice showed concern.


Kia nodded in response.

“I…I upset her,” I said, feeling like I was about to be in trouble again.

Mom started to speak, but Kia spoke up first. “No, it’s me, with everything that’s happened…” she didn’t finish the sentence as she shot a quick look over at me then back at Mom.

Mom frowned at me as she walked over to give Kia a motherly hug. “This is a very emotional time. Your body is going through lots of changes. Too much stress is a bad thing,” she said looking directly at me.



“I didn’t…I wasn’t…” I stopped and let out a forced exhale.

This morning was going downhill quickly. My routine was already thrown off from the move. On top of that I’d made Kia cry, I still didn’t know why she was upset to begin with and now Mom was indirectly lecturing me. That tight feeling knotted in my stomach. Closing my eyes, I took faster breaths, counting as I did so trying to find my center.
   
“Matt!” I heard Mom yell. I opened my eyes to find her standing in front of me, her hands on my cheeks and a very worried look on her face. “I’ve called your name three times…you told us you were doing better, that things had been better,” she whispered. She looked so scared, like the day she found me scrubbing the counters.


 “They were, are. I’m feeling little out of sorts, but no need to worry. I promise,” I smiled and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. She looked unconvinced so I knew I’d been getting a call or visit from Dad sometime today. They always seemed to tag team when it came to my ‘episodes’. “I’m fine I promise,” I said again hoping to reassure her. I still had the anxious feeling and could really use a long run, but I just have to hope it would go away on its own. “I need to get ready to go to work.”

Mom nodded. “Okay I’ll get out of your hair then.”

“Mom,” I said as she turned to leave. “What brought you over?”


“Well, I came over to tell you I spoke with your aunt and she thinks a party is in order. But things are too hectic right now so I’ll tell her to hold off.”

“A party?” Kia asked.

“Well, yes. Jonas and I talked some last night. We were already planning on doing a graduation party for Matt, but Hope suggested we make it a wedding reception as well. To welcome you to the family.”

I looked over at Kia whose eyes lit up at that news, but then tears started again. “I’m sorry,” she said wiping them away. “It’s just…since my aunt died I haven’t really had a family.”


Hearing her say that made me dislike her father even more. I couldn’t wrap my head around how he could abandon her so easily. Being married wasn’t my first choice, but this would be good for Kia. Mom walked over and gave her a hug and did all the motherly things she’s so great at.

Kia decided to stay home and talk to Mom about the party and such which was a relief. I looked forward to the quiet car ride to Riverview. As expected, Dad called me a while later and I assured him I was fine. I just had too many things going at once, but after Kia and I were settled and a routine had been established things wouldn’t be rocky. I did tell him about the argument Kia and I had, including how she’d gotten mad at me the night before, in hopes that he’d be able to give me some insight. Instead he laughed, but then he told me I had to stop thinking of Kia as my friend and start seeing her as my wife. 

When I got home, we had dinner with Mom and Dad. They were both more than happy to let me use my sisters as guinea pigs when they needed to be fed or changed.


 They were older now so I wasn’t as nervous about holding them as I was when they first came home.

“We’re going to be parents,” I said to Kia as I put Lola down.

“I’m scared. What if I get worse? If I forget or do something?”


I looked over at her and saw she was truly scared at that thought. Mom and Dad both knew about her condition and they were going to talk to Grams. She was a doctor, so she had to know someone that could give us more answers. Think of her as your wife…Dad’s words replayed in my head. Seeing how upset she was I did what I’d seen Dad do on the rare occasions Mom was upset over something.


I walked over and embraced Kia and told her everything would be okay. She had a family now and we’d take care of her, that I’d take care of her. That night she hoped I’d sleep in the same room, but I couldn’t. She seemed to take it better when I told her it wasn’t about her, but more the room. Adult or not, I saw that as my parent’s room and bed and it would be too odd to sleep in there.

19 comments:

  1. I feel so bad for both of them for Matt there is no love in this marriage but obviously Kia wants this to be a real marriage which includes sleeping in the same bed. Its not a good situation as Matt is going to have to try and do what his father suggested and think of her as his wife but clearly he doesn't feel that emotional attachement to her. If it wasn't for the baby they both would have probably gone their seperate ways after graduation.

    Grace's suggestion for a party was a good one, it will give Kia a feeling as if she is being accepted by the family and a wedding reception might make Matt realize she is his wife now.

    I have to give Matt credit because he is trying to comfort her at the end. He seen the worry on her face about taking care of a baby and he knew exactly what was worrying her. Little things like that will make the transition a bit easier. When the baby arrives it will make them a family, so hopefully that will make living life as a married couple easier for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love just isn't there for Matt. Kia is in love with her husband but those feelings aren't returned. He cares about her but he's not as emotionally invested as he would be if this was a regular marriage. He still sees her as his friend. He hasn't switched to that married mode yet hence the not sleeping together and him not understanding why she would be upset. He smoothed things over this time, but unless he does change how he views things, it won't last long. They would have gone their separate ways after graduation and Kia's future was looking a little bleak. :(

      Well the Gruber family likes their parties and were already planning a graduation one for Matt. Now it's more a dual purpose by making it also a wedding reception. Hopefully having people congratulate him on his marriage and such will help Matt see her that way better.

      Matt is trying. He doesn't want to see her upset and he really is trying to make things work but he misses the mark sometimes. He still doesn't fully understand her illness, but he knows she's upset over it and that was enough for him to be that nice guy that he is and make her feel better. He was always good sorta talking her down off the ledge in school so he just needed to remember that. Matt just needs to catch up to where Kia is in this marriage.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  2. This was a really sweet chapter :3 This is such a tough situation for them all but it looks like Matt is coming around to it now. I love that he reassured her and explained t her why he can't sleep in the same room. Sleeping in your parents' room with your wife doesn't sound overly tempting, I'm glad he explained his reasoning to her and that she understands.

    Hope suggesting a graduation/wedding reception is a good idea. It'll be good for Kia to meet the family and feel like she's a part of it now. I feel terrible for her that she hasn't had a proper family in a long time, this'll be good for her confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt is trying poor guy. He needs to see her as his wife and not just his friend who he knocked up by accident. LOL That's really how he views her. Sleeping in his parent's room was part of his issue, but he also never thought about sharing a room with her. He just didn't pick up on those things just like the day of the wedding. :( Not sure how he imagined them living together, but now he knows it will be them at least sleeping in the same room. LOL

      Kia will get to meet the extended family. She's met Hope and Caleb before since she was there for Feast and Snowflake Day. The family still spends holidays together. Now she's meeting the rest, or most of the rest of the family. She's been pretty much on her own since her aunt died. Her father hasn't seen her in years (he came to the funeral I think) but other than that he keeps his distance. It will be good for her to feel accepted.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh when Matt said he didn't speak girl. He was frustrated and clueless but that remark had me giggling. I feel so awful for both of them. There is no love in the marriage where Matt is concerned, but Kia obviously wants so much more out of this marriage. Matt can't give what he doesn't feel, and Kia is very scared of her condition worsening and taking care of a baby. I have to give him credit in the end. He was trying to comfort her and explain why he couldn't sleep in the same room. Sleeping with your wife in your parents' bed isn't very appealing.

    That was very sound advice at Jonas gave Matt. Hopefully he will get a clue and maybe make things a little different. It's hard though when you're in a loveless marriage. I hope things will get better for them, but I have a very bad feeling that things are going to get worse, much worse.

    The party sounds great in Kia was very interested in that. Hopefully that will help her feel more a part of the family and excepted. After all, she has no family since her aunt died and desperately needs a family. It's great that Grace and Jonas are so nice to her. She needs that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean accepted, not excepted. Commenting with my IPad isn't the easiest.

      Delete
    2. LOL poor guy doesn't. He's not as in tune to the female gender as his father is. LOL Jonas will help he along as best he can. :) Kia is very much in love with her husband and is looking at this as an opportunity to be with the man she's loved for years now. Matt cares about her, doesn't want to see her hurt, but he's not there with the emotional connection yet. At the end, it showed he does care about her in a way. He's always been that guy to try to make her feel better when she was upset and this was just another moment like that. He just needs to keep tapping into that part of himself.

      LOL nope sleeping in his parent's bed was not something Matt was inclined to do. LOL He also wasn't prepared really to take that step with Kia but now he's at least aware of the fact he'll have to at least share a room. Jonas' advice was that clue he needed which is why he did explain the sleeping thing to her. It appeased her and it let him know what would be expected when they found their own place.

      Considering Kia's condition is likely to worsen, more bad could come their way. They just need to take it one day at a time and see what happens. Hopefully Cora will be able to put them in touch with someone that can maybe help Kia.

      Jonas and Grace will always be nice. Look at how they tolerated Claudia. LOL If pushed, I'm sure both would speak their minds, well Grace would tell Jonas and Jonas would handle it, but they'd get their point across. They don't dislike Kia and have always thought she was a nice girl. The situation isn't ideal, but they are making it work. Next chapter family get together. :)

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. I don't think ANYONE speaks girl. Not even girls! Poor Matt, he doesn't stand a chance in that area.

    They do make me sad. I know, if things work out, love will grow. But they both have o many issues of their own to deal with on top of being new parents I wonder if they'll be able to make it happen or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL hahaha so what you're saying is no matter what Matt is gonna lose that battle. poor guy, well luckily his dad is fairly good at reading between the lines to help him out.

      Aww...yeah they are fighting an uphill battle. :( They have so much in the way of just learning to be with each other. Her illness, the pregnancy, moving...it's just one thing piling on and with Matt's issues they are just a bad combination. :( Maybe they can figure out things and make it work.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  5. ..Well my last comment was ate by Blogger. So, I'll do this again. Poor Matt, Poor Kia.. So much going on a loveless marriage, a baby on the way, and Kia's illness. Hopefully things will work out in the end. But it doesn't seem like it at this point. Grace's idea for a party was a great one. A good way to make her feel like a part of the family and be accepted. Atleast Jonas gave his son some sound advice. Perhaps Matt can make things a little easier on Kia. Oh, will Kia's father be showing up in any chapter? If for no other reason for Matt to beat him up and give him the old inner beauty treatment. Just wondering. Great update. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. Blogger gets hungry and likes to eat comments from time to time.

      They are too young to have to deal with so many serious issues all at once. At their age they should be really getting a start on life but they've taken a major detour. Hopefully they can find a working balance.

      A major event, well 2 just happened in the family. First Matt graduated and he got married. What better way to celebrate than with a Gruber family party??? LOL Kia was very touched by the gesture has she's felt misplaced for a long time now. Jonas is a great guy and always very level headed. He will try to help his son through this anyway he can.

      Kia's dad...well maybe. His daughter did just marry into a very wealthy family so anything is possible. If he does, he would make an ideal candidate for the inner beauty treatment.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  6. Oh boy. What a giant mess: quick wedding, Matt not "speaking girl" (lol btw), and general fear. Poor Kia still wishing for what isn't so, Matt loving her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( hard to see the bright side with all those dark clouds hanging over their heads. LOL Matt was honest there, he doesn't speak girl or anything that isn't straight, to the point talking. hahahaha He has a lot to learn. :P

      Yeah she is hoping for those feelings to be returned. She's trying to keep her own hidden because she knows he doesn't feel the same way. :(

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  7. Omg... "Think of her as your wife…" poor Matt. Already the idea that he has to put this inside his head in order to make it happens is already so wrong. I feel sorry for the whole family actually. I just hope that somehow they'll be able to make this work, maybe when the baby arrives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Matt needed to hear it like that. He's still very detached from the whole situation which makes it harder. They are all just trying to make the best of the situation since none of this is either of their faults really. Matt has a strong support system and he'll need it. Kia's never had that, well not since her mom got sick and she was young when that happened. This whole close family thing is new to her.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  8. I feel so horrible for Kia, she's having such a hard time and all the stress. Having a new baby isn't easy but this situation is just sad and horrible. I hope things get better soon and they find a way to help Kia.
    I agree with his dad, he may have married her for the baby, but he married her, it's not quite so easy as just treating her as a co-parent. She is his wife and he should think of her like that, or at least start trying to get into the mind set. As much as he may not want it or realize it, she really is.

    Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah thinks with Kia aren't the greatest right now. They are thrown into this situation and trying to make the best of it. With them both having issues, it's hard. :(

      Matt does need to get out of that 'friend' mode and realize he needs to be present in the marriage. They haven't even consummated their union. There's been zero affection since the day they got married for the most part. Matt doesn't pay attention to that, but Kia is taking notice.

      thanks for reading

      Delete
  9. Grace was so nice to stay and talk to Kia and just keep her company. I can't really say 'it's nice that Matt is trying to love Kia' even though it is, and I'm glad he's trying to make things less tense between them, but I don't like how he has to even do that. If that makes any sense. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Grace and Jonas are making the best of the situation. They know none of this was either of their faults so what's done is done. It helps that they already knew and liked Kia. Matt is trying his best even though he does screw up. I get it, you rather he have married someone he's in love with instead of trying to fall in love with the person he married. That would be a better way, but sadly that's not the case.

      thanks for reading

      Delete