Monday, October 6, 2014

Going Solo: Grace Gen 4.19


He was asking permission. He wanted to kiss me. HE WANTED TO KISS ME! What do I do? What do I say? I've never been kissed. I've never wanted to be kissed. Was he going to do it anyway? 

"Grace?"

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have said anything. You look terrified right now so...I'll just take you home." He got up and put his hand out towards me. When I hesitated, he took a step back giving me extra space. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to freak you out. It's just I let myself hope...never mind let me get you home. It's late."


I stood silent. He looked upset and I didn't know what to say. I focused on his wings as they fluttered in the moonlight. They were beautiful.

"Your wings shimmer. They're like a built-in nightlight."

"Yeah, I guess they are. I've never really thought of it like that."

More awkward silence. I looked over at Vor who was curled up in the sand, he was going to need a bath tomorrow.


"We should get going."

"You said you'd let yourself hope. Hope for what?" I asked.

"It's nothing and I've already stuck my foot in my mouth enough for one night."

"Please tell me."


Jonas covered his face with his hands and took a few deep breaths. "I've enjoyed being your friend, Grace. I liked your company and I liked being around you so I looked for any and all opportunities to do so. You have trust issues, I know this, and it's not my place to ask why. I've been more than happy to be your friend, but..."

I held my breath waiting on his next words. I worried he was going to tell me he was finally fed up with my crazy hang-ups. I'd freaked out on him a few times, no sane person would want to continue to be around someone flaky like me.
 
"But what?"


"But I'd hoped that one day you'd see me as more. That we could be more."

"Oh..."

"Yeah, but it's not in the cards so unless I've totally blown  it with you, I'd like to at least continue being your friend."

"My mother and sister think you're in love with me," I blurted out.

He smiled and even in the dim light, I could see his eyes sparkle. "They'd be right."


He loved me! I was not expecting that. I don't know why I blurted out that fact, but I still expected him to deny it or to laugh at the idea, but he didn't.

"I...I..." Crap! What the heck do you say to something like that?

How long had I known Jonas, two years? The time all seemed to blend together. He was my friend. Is my friend. Sure I cared about him, but love? What was love supposed to feel like? I'd never really analyzed my feelings about Jonas, he simply was Jonas. My friend. He looked like he was waiting on some sort of a response. He was waiting. He wasn't trying to hurt me. Most of the defining moments in my life happened to me. They were out of my control and all I could do was react to them after the fact.

But this moment, I wanted this one to be different. "Yes," I whispered.

"Yes what?"

"Yes you...you can kiss me."


He stepped closer to me and I instantly felt like my stomach was full of butterflies.
 
"I...I've never been kissed."

He stood close to me. Closer than we'd ever been and I felt very small. The air between us had changed and I was full of nervous energy.

"Are you sure about this?"

I nodded. "I...I want to know what it's like."


One hand wrapped around mine. His other was on my chin, tilting my face up as he leaned closer to me. His face was all I could see as his mouth got closer to mine.


Then they were on me, his lips touching my lips. They were soft and warm and it felt strange, but nice. I liked kissing him. I don't know how long we were connected, but I knew my knees felt like jelly when he pulled away. His strong arm wrapped around my waist to steady me. My hand went to my lips, they were tingling.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Is it...I mean do all kisses make you feel like this?"

"Like what?"


"My lips tingle, my legs feel like mush, and my stomach is still doing flips."

He laughed and being so close to him I could feel the vibrations as his body shook. "Well, if done correctly, yes they should all make you feel that way."

I'd had my first kiss. I felt like I had a stupid grin on my face the whole walk back to the store. I was feeling happy and couldn't wait to call Hope and tell her. Jonas insisted on driving me to my parents' house instead of just following me. He said he didn't mind walking back. He held my hand as we walked up the steps and was still holding my hand when Mom answered the door. Her eyes went there first and a large smile spread across her face.


"Grace, honey, this is a surprise. Nice to see you Jonas," Mom said as she opened the door.

"Good evening Mrs. Gruber."

"I've told you to call me Cora."

"Well you can still call me Mr. Gruber," Dad said as he came to stand next to Mom.

Mom hit Dad playfully in his stomach and fussed at him to be nice.

"I'm plenty nice considering the boy is still standing." His eyes also went to our joined hands.


"Good evening, sir. I was making sure Grace got home safely since I kept her out later than expected."

"Uh-huh...well she's home. You can take your hands off her and go."

"Dad!"

Mom shot him a death glare and he just frowned, dropped his head and walked away. After Jonas left, Dad started in with his millions of questions. Mom made him back off on most, but I think she was just as eager to find out what was going on as well. I knew I could talk to Mom about anything, but with Dad around I would have to wait. I could at least text Hope, I didn't want Dad's super sonic hearing butting in on my conversation.

Jonas POV


I found myself whistling as I walked back to my car. I'd put my feelings out there for Grace and she didn't run from me. She let me kiss her. Man what a kiss. I could stay attached to those lips all day if she'd let me.

When I got to my car, I saw it had been vandalized again. This was the second time. The last one had my tires slashed. This time it had been keyed. The words: SHE'S MINE were scratched into the driver's side doors. The same message that was on the wall at the store today and on the brick that flew through the window of my house two nights ago. The car was still drivable so I'd take it in for a paint job tomorrow.


As I got closer to the bridge that took me home I saw headlights speeding towards me. The large vehicle got right on my tail, blinding me with it's high-beams. I was jolted forward when the driver hit me. My car fishtailed. The truck sped up beside me, ramming me against the concrete wall. the sound of crunching metal filled my ears. I hit the gas to accelerate, but I was wedged in, my small compact car was no match for the larger vehicle. The truck pulled away before ramming into me a second time. The old concrete of the bridge gave. I was free-falling over the side.

2 comments:

  1. o.O
    What an ending to this chapter. LOL. Holy shit.
    I had hoped Jonas would start to put two and two together of why Grace was so jittery when he first met her, and all throughout their friendship, but I hope now it's not too late for him...
    Awwww, she let him kiss her, how adorable. *squishes Grace for being so brave* She did her first kiss in the dark! LOL. That's like overcoming two major hurdles in one! I think it's perfect that Jonas' wings are the color they are, because when Grace is with him in the dark, it will never be dark because he is her nightlight. D'awww. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, whoever is after Jonas is no longer content with subtle warnings.

      No one wants to think that sort of an attack has happened so it's not a go to thing for him. He still thinks it might have been an ex or something that did her wrong in the past. That she's never been kissed comment went right over his head. :(

      Yep, she let him kiss her! That was huge but she took charge and and stopped being so scared for a change. Yep, first kiss and in the dark!!! The glow of his wings did have a good effect on her. She's a bit enamored with them. :)

      thanks for reading

      Delete